Apprentice Jr Gentlemen's Pen (CSUSA)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Andrew, I have a concern with the Apprentice kits' durability of finish. It's cheaper for a reason. If you just want to practice assembling the kit, go for it. But be aware it may not bring you repeat business if it doesn't last long in the customers' hands.

Akula

I like the Chrome ones...they do seem to hold up much better than the gold. I have a couple here over a year (?) old that still has a nice bright finish with no flaking. One sits on my desk and gets used a lot by everyone....gets knocked around, dropped and works every time. Replaced the ink once in that time.

I might skip them for a customer but as far as freebies they are great.

RDH79

My opinion POOR

The 24K scratch before you can get them made and the chrome seem ok but what I have issues with is the black painted threads. After only a few times postting the cap the paint is coming off. I made afew and stopped. But thats just my opinion.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
The 24K scratch before you can get them made and the chrome seem ok but what I have issues with is the black painted threads. After only a few times postting the cap the paint is coming off. I made afew and stopped. But thats just my opinion.

I really like the chrome version. As for the thread issue, I make them closed end to eliminate that problem

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Gold TN

With a little looking you can find Gold TN and Chrome Jr Gent 1 kits (comparable to the kit you mentioned)for probably around the same price or a tad cheaper when shipping is included. No wear problems. 24Kt gold will not wear well nomater who you buy it from and how much you pay.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think Chrome is the most durable of the cheap platings...I don't see any reason to use 24k gold, and I don't think 14k gold is much better...if it was solid 14k gold, that would be different, but the plating is super thin, and very soft (being gold).

Go with chrome,

Andrew

The chrome is descent but the gold scratches if you look at it wrong. Also sometimes the parts need to be sanded on a disk sander or whatever you might have to get the paint off so they fit into the brass tubes or you will crack your hard work. Sometimes the parts are a little loose.

Top Bottom