applying CA glue to segmented pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmyers4

Question: I got some thick CA glue to glue two strips of 3/4" x 5" together. Is it sufficient to just run a bead of glue down the center of a strip and then press the two pieces together? Will the glue spread out enough? Use two beads of glue?

What's the preferable technique to use?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, I spread the glue over the two surface peices completely,i use sticks to spread the glue,i don`t know if that is correct but it gives me good strong seems

toolcrazy

I was wondering the same thing about knots. I'm currently use Titebond and it works fine, except for the wait time. I was thinking CA would be faster, like a knot in an evening, instead of a week.

fernhills

Sure i think CA would be fine,i did think that it wouldn`t be but got to thinkin that it is glued onto the brass tubes as well and it is such a small amounts of wood that how much forces could it have..I would think you would have more troubles if ya have to clamp and sqeeze things together,,

Texatdurango

GOB the glue on! Think about it, when you are finished turning the pen, you have very little wood left. If you just put a bead down the center, wouldn't it be horrible to have a tiny piece break off because it didn't get enough glue?

What's the price of a few drpos of glue compared to working on a pen for a few hours only to have it fall apart when buffing the final shine?

jdmyers4

Yes, I thought of that. Want to have every bit glued together. My problem is that the glue squeezes out and gets all over my fingers (gloves, if I'm wearing them). Ugh! It drives me crazy!! Then if I'm too slow it sets in before I have it straight - but I was using medium CA.

I do use Gorilla glue for the tubes, and have always been happy with it. I just got the quicker drying king of GG. I guess I'll experiment using GG and thick CA and see which one I like better.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oh, and George, I've seen your segmented pens - they're absolutely beautiful!

John

DavidSpavin

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />I was wondering the same thing about knots. I'm currently use Titebond and it works fine, except for the wait time. I was thinking CA would be faster, like a knot in an evening, instead of a week.
I use Titebone polyurethane glue for both knots and segmenting. Its workable after about 2 hrs. I have tried CA for knots but have had some problem of the glue joint breaking during cutting of the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom