Apple Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimship15

Is apple worth cutting into blanks to turn or is best put in a smoker?

I just cut a couple that were in the way and one was half dead/rotted. I saved a few firewood size logs and the rest went on the burn pile.

If it is worth cutting up what should I do with it for now?
How long should it dry before cutting?

Thanks,
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

The heart wood can be pretty cool, but it's a wet wood that likes to crack and move so bear that in mind. Try to get some heartwood banks and the rest is rather bland. Bowls can be cool, but hard to dry without cracking. I have a few drying right now that I have not taken a peek at in a couple months!~

KP

I love apple, especially the heart/sap contrast. I think it makes for a great pen, if you can get both in your blank. Apple also ages well, gets a real nice patina with use. First pen I made (I'm a hobbyist, so I've only made a couple dozen) was apple, it's my desk pen, daily use for a couple years now. Has a nice polished look from use, and feels nice in the hand.

Cracks like crazy as it dries in the log, but I've not had problems with blanks cracking, at least for the dozen or so I've got sitting in my blank box.

Ken

Hey Jim,
here is a picture of a little Apple pen I sent to Aussie Chick for a pen swap on TPS.. it's from a little piece I got from a fellow woodturner over in NC.. I think the wood is pretty impressive.

20074232824_SL-WG-APPL.jpg
<br />

This is cross cut.. picture isn't the best but you can see the wood.

BTW, the wood is equally great in the smoker.

workinforwood

Apple is probably my most favorite. I prefer a tree like a spy compared to a crabapple, but I take them all. The only difference is the crab has spots in it sort of like a medulary ray in a piece of oak. The color is very similar to the color of my skin..the heartwood is more similar to cherry. I discard most of the heartwood...the pith is the most unstable part of any log, and especially prone to cracking in apple. It is the second hardest domestic lumber in the USA. It is an awesome carving wood, and makes great pens. Cut to one inch thick, discard anything with pith..stack, sticker, set heavy concrete cinder blocks on top and let dry on the highest shelf in your shop for one year. Get it up close to the ceiling as you can..or in the attic is good too..be sure the ends are painted with oil base paint. You will still get twisting and warping. I cut the boards in half if they are really badly twisted..I face joint one side and then run through the planer. I stick with logs that are 4-8 inches wide...just because they are more manageable in my bandsaw. Look for Kate Beckinsale in the "other things we make" area...that's one of my carvings, her face is apple.
two pens in the middle..center left is apple and ebony swirl, center right is apple with walnut stripes.

pens2.jpg

Dario

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />It is the second hardest domestic lumber in the USA.

Based on what? FYI

Common name Scientific name side hardness,Janka test,at 12% moisture content kilonewtons pounds-force

apple Malus sylvestris 7.7 1730
ash, blue Fraxinus quadrangulata 9.0 2030
dogwood, flowering Cornus florida 9.6 2150
hickory, pecan Carya illinoensis 8.1 1820
hornbeam, American Carpinus caroliniana 7.9 1780
osage orange Maclura pomifera 9.1 2040
persimmon, common Diospyros virginiana 10.2 2300

Reference: http://www.sizes.com/units/janka.htm

workinforwood

I know that there are harder woods than apple, but apple is considered a domestically harvested lumber, just like hickory...where as dogwood and osage orange for instance, although harder, they are local exotics. This according to the encyclopedia of Wood. And pecan doesn't count because pecan and hickory are considered to be the same, and usually are packed mixed in a bundle, although sometimes you can get them seperated, but they are still considered as one type, hickory being considered the hardest domestic lumber. Far as I know, being a domestic lumber puts you in a cabinet making classification, where you can buy boards for furniture and cabinets and also plywoods and veneers. Sure you can get osage veneer..but that's a custom specialty order. Makes some sense to me, but not completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom