Apple wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

Has anyone ever tries turing apple for pens or anything else? How is the grain? I just ran across a new subdivision in my area that used to be an orchard. Most of the trees have already been taken out, but there are a few left on the ground. Just wanted to find out if it would be worth it to fire up the saw and get some.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Borg_B_Borg

I bought some spalted apple wood from ipopperwoods on eBay. The spalting shows up as numerous white spots on the wood. I thought it would be interesting to turn it, but once turned it wasn't pretty at all, at least not on a pen. It pales in comparison with almond, peach, apricot, or even plum. Apple wood may appeal to someone more on the strength of it being the wood of an apple tree than on the strength of its appearance alone.

Steve

Dario

Fruit wood in general also tend to crack fast so TLC of your collected wood is recommended.

If they are down now....you got the right timing because sap is down and wood is not that wet (less prone to cracking/checking). The harder parts to collect usually yield better wood [;)]. Root areas are chainsaw bar and chain killer but worth it if you can collect them.

Good luck!!!

Ryan

I have a large block of apple I cut up and I was not too impressed. It is rather plain. It is about the same color as maple with little to no rays.

Ryan

KenV

I am making an emperor with apple orchard trimmings - the guy who gets this has the orchard. I was able to find some "feather" along one side of a by following a knot down the branch.

A lot of apple wood is plain. It was a wood of choice for Disston saw handles and was used in many wood planes (alternative to beech). It is tight grained and even the plain stuff works for glue up pens and laminations.

Coat the material well and expect some checks. Shellac, paraffin, anchorseal, old paint can all be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom