Apple Or Something Else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yorkie UK

Hello All,

About 18 months ago i was given a large portion of tree trunk, the guy who gave it me said it was Apple, in May of this year i cut part of the trunk away and made a few pen blanks i was then unsure that this was Apple as i had never seen the colours in Apple that was in this wood, also the wood is rather light?

I have added a few pictures of the blanks and a few pens that are made from the same batch, can anyone confirm that this is actually Apple or am I working with a totally different type of wood.

Thanks.

blanks.jpg

blanks1.jpg

blanks2.jpg

blanks3.jpg

blanks4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Not any kind of Apple I have ever encountered, but I could not say for sure without some detailed examination.

rjwolfe3

It's hard to tell because of the (I am assuming) water damage or spalting?
The apple that I have is very plain and light in color except for where the sapwood meets the heartwood (I think those are the right terms).
But I am no expert.

1080Wayne

Almost certainly not apple . The crosscut pieces show distinct growth rings . Apple is diffuse porous with little difference in pore size between early and late wood , making growth rings generally indistinct .

Yorkie UK

Thanks for the comments, i had my doubts about it being Apple, but i have no idea what it is?

Rob, water could be the reason for the Black (Grey) in the wood as it was left in the garden under no cover for quite a while.. :confused:

KenV

The ring patterns do not look like Malus (apple) species I have seen. Local names are often approximate or missleading. The color appears to be spalting/fungus staining. Sometimes the story that goes with the wood makes the identificaiton not needed --

"This is from local wood that was given to me, the wood shows signs of spalting which provides the color. The source of the wood described it as apple, but the growth ring patterns suggest that it is another species."

I find that many people identify with "local wood" or "from a local tree" =

workinforwood

Apple, the sap wood looks the color of skin. It smells like apple when you cut it. It is very hard wood. The heart wood is a dark brown. The growth rings are very tight. What you have looks to me like Blue pine. Very light weight, typical pine growth rings and pours. The blue is caused by a beetle which infects the tree. Two other good possibilities are Grapefruit, and Mangrove. If the wood is local to you, I'm betting on the pine, as I don't think Grapefruit of Mangrove would grow in the UK, but I don't live there, so I don't know.

fyrcaptn

apple?

I've got some apple and some spalted apple and neither look like your pic. I have some orchards promising to keep some trees for me this year when they take out their old and damaged trees.
Whatever that is, its a good looking wood. How was it to turn?

JohnU

I have some pine that had similar colors in it. It would be soft. Either way.. its beautiful. Has a buckeye/sycamore look to it.

Yorkie UK

Thank you again for your help and comments. Pine came up here at home due to the smell when cutting it, but no one was 100% sure. Yes the wood is very nice in colour and well figured which was a surprise and a delight when it was first cut, thinking it was Apple of course! :rolleyes:

fyrcaptn, the first piece i turned i made a right mess of it not giving it the respect it needs, i tried to rough it down as close as possible before i used the skew, it was all pitted and to rough to get a good finish by this time. Once i took more time with it, it comes out very nice.

Thank you again.

Top Bottom