The Apollo from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Haven't seen to many of these posted or I just may have missed them. But I ordered the new Apollo kits from PSI when they came out awhile back. Thinking it would be the same tubes and drills as the Churchill. Well so much for me thinking, the cap needed a 9/16 bit and there was none to be found in the shop with about a 100 drill bits I have, so these got set aside until today. The bits I used were a 9/16 for the cap and 12.5 for the body. I like how the plastic sleve hides itself out of the way on the cap coupler. Threads seem to work good and the back threaded endcap even looks good. I did not like the look of the ALL gold bands, so I used some Rub in Buff and darkened the inside of the bands. Not sure how it will hold up, but gave it a go anyways. On one of the pens, I left off the end center band to see what it would look like. If you do this, you need to turn down the end coupler because it widens to hold the denter band. Well here are the ones I made, I just might order a few more :)

20085172024_apollo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony,

Perhaps I am not understanding properly.

Is there a way to eliminate the band on the "Posting end"? When the pen is posted, those two gold bands together look like "too much" to me.

PenWorks

Originally posted by ed4copies

What do you think of the nib, Anthony???

I inked this pen Ed, just so I could answer your question, I need another Pen like I need.......Oh well, it is a nice pen :)

Put a Schneider royal blue cartridge in it, and the pen took off just great, no skip, writes good.

I agree, the pen looks better without the end centerband when posted.

200851721027_apollo_inked.jpg

PenWorks

Is there a way to eliminate the band on the "Posting end"?

Yes. the end coupler messured .558 at the beging of the coupler when you go to seat it. The coupler then increases in diamiter to .572, this is to hold the center band. So I put the coupler in my Beall chuck and removed the excess metal on the coupler so it would be .558 all the way. It you do not remove this metal, the coupler will not seat or if you get it to seat, it will expand your tube to much and damage the pen.

PenWorks

Ed, here is a pic, probablly better than me babbling about how I did it. The shinny brass is the area I removed the metal from.

2008517212035_apollo_coupler.jpg

leehljp

Member Liaison
Now I see why some people like FOUNTAIN pens! They can write nice enough to show of a good nib, nice ink and the pen.

For ME to keep and own a fountain pen, with _my_ writing, would be similar to giving pearls to swine! [B)]

Anthony, Beautiful work, but that goes without saying for you! I really like the single banded writing instrument! :)

gerryr

Anthony, I just finished a couple of these today and have to take the cap finial off and grind down the clip ring because it's too thick. I ordered these several months ago so maybe they fixed things since then? Did you have any trouble with the clip ring?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

Clip plating has become a continuoous problem (IMO). I keep a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel next to my assembly area, just to go around the inside of clips. The slimlines have had this problem for over 2 years, when they are TN plated. I suspect that I am "grinding off" the layer of plating that made the fit too tight.

FWIW:D:D:D

gerryr

I've had the same problem with a fair number of Jr. Gents and Statesman, ti gold and rhodium. On the Apollo either the ring is too thick or the recess it fits in is not deep enough. No excuse for either as far as I'm concerned.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don't ask them to improve their tolerances, they will tell us they have to INCREASE our price (Cost of getting it RIGHT, instead of getting it DONE!!)

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Anthony,
I posted my impressions of the Apollo a while ago in the guild. I think the neatest aspect of pen is the CB and threads with no plastic showing. Interesting idea, losing the rear trim band. Does that still allow a spare internal cartridge or a conversion pump?

Re. tight-fitting clip... I've never used a Dremel to ream out the clip ring hole. I use an extra tube with a lengthwise 3/4" or so slot cut into it. I pre-assemble the clip and finial on that tube. I can apply as much pressure as I want and not damage the pen, on my assembly (arbor) press. Because of the slot I can then pull off the tube very easily by hand. Much quicker (I find) than using a Dremel. And, I really like not having to use epoxy under the clip ring to prevent the clip from eventually rotating!

Texatdurango

Originally posted by scubaman

...Re. tight-fitting clip...

I use an extra tube with a lengthwise 3/4" or so slot cut into it. I pre-assemble the clip and finial on that tube. I can apply as much pressure as I want and not damage the pen, on my assembly (arbor) press. Because of the slot I can then pull off the tube very easily by hand. Much quicker (I find) than using a Dremel. And, I really like not having to use epoxy under the clip ring to prevent the clip from eventually rotating!
That soounds like a great idea, I think I'll try it since about 70% of my Jr Statesman clips are too tight and like the others I grab a jewelers file and go around once or twice.

I've been using Locktite when pressing the clip and end cap into the brass, now that probably won't be necessary.

Anthony,

I think Ed ought to buy the pen now since he forced you to ink it. It's the only decent thing to do!

PenWorks

Originally posted by scubaman

Interesting idea, losing the rear trim band. Does that still allow a spare internal cartridge or a conversion pump?

Yes, a Schmidt converter fit in just fine.

I agree George, it would save him the trouble of having to make one. :) Plus I bet he does not have a 9/16 bit, he would have to borrow one from Frank :D

randyrls

Gerry,

Clip plating has become a continuoous problem (IMO). I keep a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel next to my assembly area, just to go around the inside of clips. The slimlines have had this problem for over 2 years, when they are TN plated. I suspect that I am "grinding off" the layer of plating that made the fit too tight.

FWIW:D:D:D

Ed; I have a scrap piece of acrylic with a hole close to the edge. The hole is barely larger than the tube size. I then use my vise to seat the clip on the finial. The vise jaws are covered with wood to keep from scratching the finial. If the clip fits, I use CA to glue it on! Keeps the clip from coming loose and spinning.

Top Bottom