Apitong?? Good for Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JakeAB

I haven't used it myself, but I've used many woods I've never heard of before, and can only recommend that, if you're curious, try it!

Out of curiosity, I checked the Wood Library at woodworkerssource.com, and found that, while there are a number of varieties of apitong, the general characteristics seem to be:

Turning: Most woodworking properties are reported to be generally good, but Dipterocarpus timbers are reported to respond poorly to turning since they tend to chip and break off on fine edges.

Gluing: The material is reported to be rather difficult to glue.

Sanding: Sanding properties are reported to be generally good but care is required in stock containing high amounts of resin.

Polishing: The wood is reported to be rather difficult to polish because of high resin content.

Doesn't sound the best for pens, though you never know for sure until you try.

arioux

I haven't used it myself, but I've used many woods I've never heard of before, and can only recommend that, if you're curious, try it!

Out of curiosity, I checked the Wood Library at woodworkerssource.com, and found that, while there are a number of varieties of apitong, the general characteristics seem to be:

Turning: Most woodworking properties are reported to be generally good, but Dipterocarpus timbers are reported to respond poorly to turning since they tend to chip and break off on fine edges.

Gluing: The material is reported to be rather difficult to glue.

Sanding: Sanding properties are reported to be generally good but care is required in stock containing high amounts of resin.

Polishing: The wood is reported to be rather difficult to polish because of high resin content.

Doesn't sound the best for pens, though you never know for sure until you try.

I call that challenge !! :)

Top Bottom