Anyone Using Their Lathe To Drill Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgraytn

Just curious... Is anyone using their lathe for drilling pen blanks as opposed to a drill press? If so, what type of success are you having in getting a centered hole and what set up do you have... THANKS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgraytn

Thanks for your responses so far! Are any of you using the 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 square blanks in the chuck to drill the holes first prior to turning them?

jleiwig

Thanks for your responses so far! Are any of you using the 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 square blanks in the chuck to drill the holes first prior to turning them?

I don't know if it was addressed to me, but I turn the blank round first before mounting in the collet chuck.

Two reasons for this:

1.) You can see what's hiding in the blank before drilling, and then cut to be most advantageous positioning for your blank.

2.) The collet chuck allows for greater control and tighter drilling tolerances.

I've never liked using a scroll chuck for drilling blanks, because 1.) you usually have to buy the pin or #1 jaws to hold a pen blank, and 2.) I just don't think they offer the same tolerances as a quality collet chuck does.

BobBerk

I had picked up an old drill press for $30 on craigslist to get me started. Then when I purchased my Talon chuck and HF mt2 drill chuck immediately started drilling on the lathe. My drill press only had a 2 inch throw, so that got old quick. I am very pleased with the results of drilling with the scroll chuck, and yeah, I do drill them while square.

tgraytn

Thanks Justin! That makes sense and I will try that.

Bob I am currently using the small drill press as you were and I am ready for something more accurate.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Rarely is a 3/4 x 3/4 actually dead square. This means a scroll chuck will grab in one direction and not in the other (largest dimension will hold, the other side is not supported). Now, you CAN clamp that sucker in and it won't move. BUT, you have not assurred yourself it is dead center. So, this can result in slop.

Rounded blanks are a better choice.

I actually do it both ways, and I have "Missed" a few times when I hurried and used the "just clamp it and drill it" method.

Collet chuck is easier and more reliable.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I just don't get it:confused:

All this talk about drilling dead centre on a lathe...if the tail stock is centered with the headstock then surely it makes no difference what kind of chuck you hold the blank with? (As long as it is held securely.) Once the hole has been drilled then the hole itself becomes the centre.
Now I often round a blank first too, but mainly to see what it might look like. But if I have any doubts that the blank will be big enough then I will cut the blank exactly in half first.( not to suit the tube lengths ) Then while still in the squarish I'll drill for the body tube first. If the hole exits in the centre of the blank then cool, I'll put it back in the chuck ( same position ) and re-drill for the cap size. I want as much material as possible supporting the blank while drilling, so if there may be doubt I'll leave it square:tongue:

rjwolfe3

I don't know Skip but I have a hard time getting a square blank to hold right in a chuck but maybe that's me. I just found it so much easier to round first and then stick it in the collet chuck especially with segmented blanks that need drilled down the center. But that's just me.

gwilki

I don't quite understand the emphasis on being in the exact centre of the blank. As long as there is enough material all around the hole to turn the pen to its final dimensions, why does the hole need to be in precise centre? When I'm doing burls, I frequently do not want the hole in the centre. The same is true for antler. I want to find the best features of the blank. Those features may not be suited to drilling in the centre of the blank.

areaman

I have a baracuda chuck and use the small jaws that came with it, since doing this I have not blown out any blanks. When I was doing them on the drill press I wasnt so lucky.

worknhard

I do my entire pen blank drilling on the lathe… both square and round stock. I don't bother to mark the center either, I just eyeball it. However, if the surface of the pen blank end is not square to the drilling axis, the drill bit sometimes snags on the surface and pulls the bit off at an angle, especially if I'm using brad points.

thewishman

I drill the square blanks and have rarely had a problem. Since most barrels are less than 2.5" there would have to be a major problem to be so far off center that the blank would not be usable.

I just don't get it:confused:

All this talk about drilling dead centre on a lathe...if the tail stock is centered with the headstock then surely it makes no difference what kind of chuck you hold the blank with? (As long as it is held securely.) Once the hole has been drilled then the hole itself becomes the centre.
Now I often round a blank first too, but mainly to see what it might look like. But if I have any doubts that the blank will be big enough then I will cut the blank exactly in half first.( not to suit the tube lengths ) Then while still in the squarish I'll drill for the body tube first. If the hole exits in the centre of the blank then cool, I'll put it back in the chuck ( same position ) and re-drill for the cap size. I want as much material as possible supporting the blank while drilling, so if there may be doubt I'll leave it square:tongue:

I think along your lines Skip... I have a little chuck that I got from PSI that 4 little bars... that will pretty much hold any shape blank...I set the blank in the chuck, and align the center of the other end with the drill bit... then drill... once the tube is glued in and the blank put on the bushings... it will center... only time this would be a problem might be on a segmented blank that needs a particular alignment of the segments.... I can even drill a curved piece of antler on this chuck and generally get a pretty well centered hole.

I do round my pepper mill blanks before drilling, but mostly because I can't put a 4 or 3 1/2 inch square blank in any of my chucks. I round them and make them about 3 or a little less diameter... it's just easier to drill them that way.

Texatdurango

I have a JET 1014 VS lathe. Will this collet chuck work for holding the blank after I get it turned round?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...ck-1-x-8-tpi.aspx?tab=information#information

Thanks!
NO! This chuck expands to hold an item such as a small box or bowl

You need a collet chuck that wraps around and squeezes the blank.

Have a look at the photo of this chuck and collets... http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html , the collet slides into the chuck then the blank slides into the collet then the large "nut" is tightened which squeezes the collet tight around the blank.

Two collets are widely used, the "Beall" brand chuck and the "PSI" brand along with several chucks sold on ebay and other sites.

I have the Beall chuck http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php complete with a large set of collets purchased on ebay BUT if I were to do it again, I would probably buy the chuck from PSI simply because I have used both brands and prefer the knurled nut on the PSI model. After several hours on the lathe, cutting, drilling and tapping, using oil to lubricate threads and my hands and the Beall nut getting a bit oily, gripping the smooth surface to open and close the chuck becomes a bit of a chore.

Last edited:

jleiwig

NO! This chuck expands to hold an item such as a small box or bowl

You need a collet chuck that wraps around and squeezes the blank.

Have a look at the photo of this chuck and collets... http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html , the collet slides into the chuck then the blank slides into the collet then the large "nut" is tightened which squeezes the collet tight around the blank.

Two collets are widely used, the "Beall" brand chuck and the "PSI" brand along with several chucks sold on ebay and other sites.

I have the Beall chuck http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php complete with a large set of collets purchased on ebay BUT if I were to do it again, I would probably buy the chuck from PSI simply because I have used both brands and prefer the knurled nut on the PSI model. After several hours on the lathe, cutting, drilling and tapping, using oil to lubricate threads and my hands and the Beall nut getting a bit oily, gripping the smooth surface to open and close the chuck becomes a bit of a chore.

Good point George. I rarely ever had to use the tommy bars with my PSI collet chuck. I was thinking about buying the beall just because it looks longer to get things spaced away from the headstock, but I forgot it's not knurled, which is very nice to have.

KenV

I try to keep in mind a quote from a guy called Eagle -- the objective is to drill the center of the pattern.

If that happens to be in the center of the piece being drilled, that makes it easy - if it is not in the center, the objective is still to put the drill into the center of the pattern.

One of the masters of segmented turning (Malcolm Tibbetts) makes reference to lamination trickery - where offset centers give a different effect.

Point is that the center of the wood and the center of the turning may not be the same -and that thinking about the outcome is part of the process -

Of course, production processes tend to make for a more process oriented set of choices.

jskeen

I drill almost all blanks on the lathe with my little bitty psi csc500 chuck. Most will go in as is, a little irregular or not. Except for antler which I tend to take the time to round down first. Reason for that is not so much to drill centered, but I find that turning between the points of the centers gives me the opportunity to spin the antler piece on as many different points as it takes till I find the right combination to let me get the size cylinder I need out of the piece. By watching the shadow of the off center, irregular piece of antler as it spins at high speed, I can tell how large the rounded blank will be if turned using those particular points as centers. This allows me to adjust one end or the other to give me as much or as little bark showing in the finished blank as I want, or to tell before turning if a particular piece can be turned large enough to accommodate a particular size drill bit or not. this is particularly handy on smaller or curved sections, that would otherwise probably end up having the bit break through one side.

mapletree

I used to use my bridgeport milling machine, which makes a pretty nice drill press, to drill pen blanks but was never satisfied with the results all of the time. The lathe works great. If the blanks aren't square just line up by eye as you turn the piece by hand. Be careful not to tighten to tight for I have cracked dymond wood a couple times. And I always use a center drill.

Top Bottom