Anyone using the Penn State Pro Buffer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pro-buff-system.html

My Mother-in-Law gave me this Penn State Pro buffer as a Christmas gift. It was a great thought as she has watched me stop turning, pop out the Beall Chuck, pop in the buffing mandrel, then undo the process. This is very time consuming and I don't have room for another lathe.

This little machine seemed like a perfect solution as it takes up very little space. THE PROBLEM is that I can't make the buffing wheels STAY on the stepped mandrels. The other problem is that it turns 7000 rpms great, not very good at 2000 rpms.

The closest I come to actually being able to use this $80 TURD is to attach zip ties around outside of the pad.

Anyone else used this slug? I've had this since Christmas and haven't been able to buff a single pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smitty

You do know there is a left and right side to the adapter the buffing wheels mount to. If you have them on the wrong side of the motor your pads will spin off the adapter.

PenMan1

You do know there is a left and right side to the adapter the buffing wheels mount to. If you have them on the wrong side of the motor your pads will spin off the adapter.

Yep! They spin off faster when reversed!

I've got Rick Herrell working on the problem! This guy can fix anything!

olsenla

Andy,

I've had one for about three years and I haven't had any trouble with the pads coming off. I only use mine on the lowest speed since it seems fast enough for me. Someday I will get some more pads and better buffing compound from Caswells, but it has served me well.

Larry

PenMan1

Andy,

I've had one for about three years and I haven't had any trouble with the pads coming off. I only use mine on the lowest speed since it seems fast enough for me. Someday I will get some more pads and better buffing compound from Caswells, but it has served me well.

Larry

I think the speeds may be the problem. Last night, I used a friends version of this same buffer. His is GREAT. The difference is his is variable speed from 1700 to 3000 rpm. The one they sent me is 3,000 to 7,000 rpm. It is useless above "on".

Yes, Lou, I have spoken to PSI customer service. I didn't have an invoice number (as it was a gift, even though I am a previous customer) the overall response was "so what?"

I have been a long-time customer of PSI, but they are now on my "only the stuff that no one else sells" list.

I have found an outside vendor to "fix" the wheel problem. I am afraid that the 3,000 -7,000 rpm speed is WAY too fast (this also WAS advertised as a 1,750 -3, 000 rpm machine), so I think this machine has changed!

Last edited:

joeatact

I have used mine for about 3 years. Speed control quit so I wired it to run full speed all the time. No trouble with pads stayhing on as long as the hole size is correct.

aplpickr

Saturate the buff center w/CA

Saturate the buff center w/CA to add some meat to prevent slipping. A few thousandths difference in the sewing pattern of the wheel will cause your problem. Cheap fix :). Start with a small amount, allow to thoroughly cure off the spindle, check and add more if necessary.

Top Bottom