Anyone use a duplicator?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewmeister35

Anyone use a duplicator? I'm starting to have bad problems with my hands and wrists. I don't want to be told I need to stop turning but I'm thinking if I can keep having fun and making a little money producing while giving my wrists and hands a break from the vibration, it might help. Does anyone know if the model PSI sells for the carbatec is any good? I have a carbatec and a rikon lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brew,

This comes up periodically. Try a search on the site using duplicator as your search word. Given the hand crafted nature of our work, duplicators can be an ugly word to some. Although I use a Carbatec lathe, I have never used a duplicator so can be of no direct help to your question.

Sylvanite

I have a Delta lathe and duplicator. It works well for turning square stock into round stock, but I don't really use it for anything else. One must touch up the duplicated surface with a chisel anyway, and it's just as easy (or easier) to do all shaping with a chisel in the first place.

Regards,
Eric

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />
Originally posted by clewless
<br />Damn, Ed, I thought you were going to try to sell him one that collates, folds, and staples too!!!!!!!![:D][:D]
I don't care who y'are; that's just funny! [:D]

Naaah,
The folders work for shnookle!!!

collating and stapling,.................well, maybe!!!!

Brewmeister35

Thanks Ed, PM sent.

I've looked in the archives and can't find anything very relevant. I understand duplicating really has no place in crafting but I'm trying to keep having fun and allowing my wrists to get a little better... hopefully.

angboy

Ed, you should be able to duplicate the duplicator, and then maybe duplicate the duplicated duplicator... and then you could duplex duplicate... [:D][:D]

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I got the PSI duplicator for my Jet. I've used it a few times. If you can make your own templates - or know someone that would make templates it could give you a break from the jarring . . . But it really takes the creativity out of the whole thing. Mine sits under the dining room table now. The cat thinks its a pup tent.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Brewmeister35
<br />Thanks Ed, PM sent.

I've looked in the archives and can't find anything very relevant. I understand duplicating really has no place in crafting but I'm trying to keep having fun and allowing my wrists to get a little better... hopefully.

"crafting", yes and maybe. But duplicators for small lathes are sold and presumably someone buys them. Also more sophisticated lathes just for making pens are sold. Selling many pens might require machinery that can produce at a higher volume than a dedicated crafter does. For many customers, there is no thought as to whether it was 'hand crafted'. And, there is no real definition of the term either. For some, making money is the real fun.

Brewmeister35

Thanks for the replies. I'm still considering trying this but just not sure. I love turning and I'm still learning so this would almost be like taking a step back. I have no intention of only duplicating for money. The way I see it, I'd like to continue making money AND learning.

rtrimyer

For my 2 cents worth, (you may give me change back). A duplicator does not have to take the creativity out of turning, if you just use the arm and not the templates you can still free hand your projects. Doing that would allow you to have less jarring on your wrists and the such. I know there are some out there that will disagree, but if you do not use the stop and template all you have is a tool that keeps you in the correct angle for turning, and you can still move in and out to make your cuts. In my opion that would still allow for you to be creative without causing yourself too much pain. Just a thought...

redfishsc

Originally posted by clewless
<br />Damn, Ed, I thought you were going to try to sell him one that collates, folds, and staples too!!!!!!!![:D][:D]

If Ed has a duplicator that can make copies of some of the Emperors and Churchill's I've done, I'd definitely be interested[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom