Anyone use 10.5mm for Cigar w/reverse painted blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I've just started doing a few Cigar pens and having trouble fitting tubes in reverse painted blanks. Much tighter fit than other pens I've done. I think a 10.5mm hole would work ok instead of the normal 10mm for these but asking in case others have tried this and had a bad experience!

Thanks in advance.

PS My "10.5" mm bit (used for JG-II pen barrels) is a bit undersized at 10.44mm anyway which makes it a bit closer fit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Hi Jimmy:
Yeah, sometimes you have to do things a little differently than planned.
Attached is a like from Arizona S that has the exact size of almost every drill bit known to man. It is in PDF format. I enlarged it, laminated it, framed it and put it next to my drill press and drill bit storage center. It has been a life saver more than once.
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Drill%20Bits/Drill_Chart2.pdf

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
This is a cigar where I used a spray pearl paint through the hole followed by a brushed on/in acrylic gold paint then used thick CA to adhere that onto the unpainted tube.

1__MG_0297.jpg

I did that using the standard 10mm drill bit. It was snug but better that than sloppy, IMHO.

GK

RAdams

Banned
This is a cigar where I used a spray pearl paint through the hole followed by a brushed on/in acrylic gold paint then used thick CA to adhere that onto the unpainted tube.

1__MG_0297.jpg

I did that using the standard 10mm drill bit. It was snug but better that than sloppy, IMHO.

GK

that is a cigar? Where did you get it?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
DOHHHHHH

That is what I get for posting in a rush while my wife is calling me from the other room. That is a sedona.

But I did make cigars with multiple layers of paint using the original 10mm drill bit.

Sorry for the confusion!!
GK

randyrls

I've just started doing a few Cigar pens and having trouble fitting tubes in reverse painted blanks. Much tighter fit than other pens I've done. I think a 10.5mm hole would work ok instead of the normal 10mm for these but asking in case others have tried this and had a bad experience!

Jim; I have my pen vise fastened down to the drill press table, and I often drill the smaller hole that I think will work, try the tube, then re-drill with a slightly larger bit. Then write down the size on the instruction sheet. A 115 piece drill bit set is a good investment. I like my tubes to be a close slip fit, not sloppy.

Greg; That is an awesome pen!

JimMc7

Thanks, all, for the tips.

I tried the 13/32" (10.3mm) and seems to work ok. I use epoxy to glue in the tubes which also makes up some of the gap. Couple of freebie blanks using the 13/32" bit and reverse painting the blanks with acrylic paint (Yellow Jacket from Ernie at BTW and Madreperlato Royal Blue from Dawn & Ed):

Attachments

• IMG_7348.jpg
    IMG_7348.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7349.jpg
    IMG_7349.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom