Anyone from the UK? Shipping questions !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

philb

Hi,

Looking at shipping over some pens and stoppers.

Bear Tooth Woods uses 'Global Priorit Mail' and CSUSA uses either UPS or USPS International.

I need to get the pens etc here with around 7-10 days would the Priority and the UPS mail services get them here in that time?

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

I get stuff from both of these suppliers and the time frame of 7 - 10 days is usual with them both. If anything, UK would probably be quicker. UPS is a private carrier, whereas USPS is the government agency. The former is supposedly quicker, but more expensive.

Ernie at BTW, uses Global Priority USPS, and ships very quickly after receiving an order. Have a look at his Homepage, bottom right hand side, and you will find a link to "shipping information"

Ligget

USPS is like our Royal Mail, takes a little longer but is cheaper than UPS which is a private delivery company.

Depending on what pens you want should determine whether to use Craft Supplies or Beartooth woods.

I use both for kits.

But always remember you MAY have to pay import duty when your parcel arrives![V]

philb

Ok, Thanks guys

I'm using BTW for the Sierras and Cigars as there on a special at the moment.

CSUSA for Jr Gents and Droplet Stoppers!!

Any idea how much import duty is Ligget?

Pikebite

If you have to pay duty it is worked out like this.

Take the cost of the goods - say £50, and add the postage costs - say £6. Import duty is around 6-8% and then VAT is due on the total at 17.5%, then Royal Mail add on a handling fee of £8-12

So your £50 of goods will end up costing you around £80 including postage.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I get packages from Ernie at BTW and CSUSA via USPS without a problem. Packages usually take 7 to 8 days at the most. If I order over a weekend, Ernie sends out on Monday and I get it by Friday or Saturday here in Japan.

philb

Thats an horrendous amount if you get charged duty and VAT! Never mind the Royal Mail handling fee for them doing not alot!

Do you get charged this every time? Or just if the goods are over a certain value?

Cheers

CrazyBear

Phil.

The royal mail tried to charge me £11.50 handling fee for 4 small duragrit heads for my dremmell tool. ( the postman forgot to ask me for it)

However I have recieved several woodblank packages with no charge attached. I think it is just your luck if it gets noticed. The packaging may also attract their attention. If its from a company then they will probably charge.

There are no hard and fast rules it seems.

I suppose one solution might be to ask one of our american bretheren to pick up your shopping list and post it to you in a plain brown wrapper.

Having said that. Two packages through UPS one charged and the other not charged I will have to look at the packaging and see what the difference might be

Ligget

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to importing.

Even rapped in plain paper they have to declare whats inside before they send it.

Even more observant now since 9/11.

Ligget

You could alway get someone to come over with £300 of pen kits up their butt.

The funny walk would be a certain give away, especially with Emperors.[:0] lol[:eek:)]

Pikebite

Originally posted by philbaldwin
<br />Anyone any ideas on how to package stuff so they don't get charged for the Import Tax and VAT!

Just so you are clear on the legal impications. Trying to avoid paying import duty and VAT is <b>very </b>illegal. UK customs and excise take a very dim view if you are found out. Telling sellers to mark it as a "gift" and falsely underdeclare the value is asking for trouble. Legally if you have a package that has not been charged to are meant to contact customs and tell them so you can pay the tax.

However in the real world... no duty is payable if the value of the goods and postage is less than £18. Thats not many kits. I always get charged on CSUSA parcels as it is clear they are from a company. Some e-bay sellers are very "helpful" marking pen blanks as wood pieces. With private sellers I often don't get charged with companies I nearly always do. Oven if you are charged duty is often still cheaper to buy from the USA at the moment as the dollar is so weak.

drayman

mark, they better not try it with jr gents. or they will be classed as a paedaphile[:D][:D][:D][:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom