Anyone turned Mimosa?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

THarvey

An older wood turner in my area had to give up his shop for health reasons.

He and his children gave loads of rough turns to my local woodworking club. These roughs were all harvested in the late 80's and early 90's, so moisture is not a problem.

I cut one of the larger Mimosa limbs into pen blanks. These are beautifully striped.

Is there any particular treatment I should do for these blanks before turning? Any typical hazards with Mimosa? I have not found any reference on any of the turning sites, I viewed.

Thanks

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Thanks.

I found one warning for nausea on a toxic woods site. The warning relates to the leaves and bark. No mention about the wood.

The blanks are center cuts. I think I will give it a turn.

Tim

kent4Him

You should send it to me.[:D]

I love Mimosa, but unfortunately, Clint McCormick on ebay doesn't sell wood any longer. He is where I got mine from and I want more. It turns very nice and has excellent striping, color and sparkle. If you try it and don't like it, I will gladly take it off of your hands.

I did nothing special with it. Maybe soaked it with CA once I got close to the finished diameter. CA finish works nicely.

THarvey

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />You should send it to me.[:D]

I love Mimosa, but unfortunately, Clint McCormick on ebay doesn't sell wood any longer. He is where I got mine from and I want more. It turns very nice and has excellent striping, color and sparkle. If you try it and don't like it, I will gladly take it off of your hands.

I did nothing special with it. Maybe soaked it with CA once I got close to the finished diameter. CA finish works nicely.

Might be able to work a trade. I cut about 15 good blanks (3/4 x 3/4 x 6+)from the first stick. I also have a bunch of short blanks (&lt; 3" long), after cutting around a spike. I might be persuaded to part with 6 or so.

I have another stick I have not cut yet. Waiting to see how I like these, or if I want to use it for something larger.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom