Anyone turn any Irish type..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

Anyone turn any type of wood from Ireland? I am trying to find something from there for my inlaws. I was looking up Black Thorn since I have seen it in canes and shillelaghs. Have not been able to find out where to get any and not sure if its turnable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Hi, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3126&item=8193074249&rd=1
These are hawthorn blanks for sale!
Hope it helps you!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
He also has some really sweet looking Burr Elm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=324&item=5582335892&rd=1

JimGo

Wow, that Burr Elm is pretty long! I wonder if you couldn't get two pens (especially if one is a Polaris-type) out of each blank. Certainly three pens from two blanks. And MAN is that Hawthorne sharp! Mike, you'll have to let us know if you win it!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Wish I could be of help...I did a search online but cannot find any good source. Sorry.

If you do a search for martial arts supplies you might find the canes. They are great as defensive weapons, especially for older folks who are often considered easy prey for the punks. Unfortunately, you would have to cut up the canes to get pen blanks but one cane should yield quite a few blanks.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you haven't already found what you are looking for, check out this link. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3854&SearchTerms=irish,peat,bog,oak
Email Mike (MiK) for more information.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />If you haven't already found what you are looking for, check out this link. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3854&SearchTerms=irish,peat,bog,oak
Email Mike (MiK) for more information.

Lou, I emailed Mike about his source at the time of your reference. I told me about getting the wood himself, and said that he was drying the wood and would offer some for sale when it was ready. He said he would put me on his list and contact me when it was ready for sale. Since he hasn't posted in awhile, I haven't contacted him to see if it was ready yet. I am still interested in making a few pens from Irish bog oak, though.

airrat

well have to back out of that bid on the hawthorn. But will keep my eyes open for some other. If anyone sees anytype of Irish wood let me know. Trying to come up with a gift for some "difficult to buy for" in-laws.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Mike has been out of commission and not really following the forum for a few weeks. He hurt his back and it's all he can do to keep the Craft Centre going. I'm quite certain he still has some of it left and would love to hear from anyone on the forum.

elody21

airrit, I sent you an e-mail about Irish bog oak on e-bay just the other day!. Did you get it? The bidding is done now but he might have some more. It is carbon dated from Ireland in the year 449Ad This is my second lot I bought. I have not made any pens yet! I love pens with history and I am half Irish!

Winning bid: EUR 21.00
(Approximately US $25.05)

Winning bidder: elody21
Ireland
Ships to: Worldwide
Go down Shipping, payment details and return policy

Seller information
5542alan ( 17Feedback score is 10 to 49)About Me

Member since May-22-05 in Ireland

Description

Item Specifics

Condition: New
This translation is provided as a service. eBay cannot guarantee its accuracy. View Item Specifics in original language.

Radiocarbon dated Irish Bog Oak pack of 10 pen blanks for woodturning.

Dated at Queens University Belfast,Northern Ireland. Dating shows that this Oak tree was growing in Ireland between the years 449 A.D and 563 A.D. This was during the time Saint Patrick was in Ireland.

I have sawn and kiln dried these blanks which measure 135mm long and are a minimum 15mm x 15mm (see picture of end grain) This picture is of a typical pack.Each pack contains a combination of those pictured

When the Bog Oak was unearthed it was well preserved and saturated with water. So saturated that a marble sized piece would sink. During the drying process so much water was removed that some blanks are off square.(see picture of endgrain) This is a hardwood somewhat similar in density to Iroko.

I have turned hundreds of pens from this wood which finishes to a smooth black colour. The oak turns black from a chemical reaction between the iron compounds in the bog and the tannin in the wood.

With each order you will receive a copy of The Radiocarbon dating report and 6 high quality leaflets which I included with my pens telling the history of Bog Oak, where this log was harvested and some history of Saint Patrick.

A well known British botanist purchased some of these pens and stated that I now hold in my hand a writing instrument which could contain molecules of Saint Patricks breath.

The photo of pens here show what the finished product looks like. Pens are not for sale.

To the best of my knowledge a similar dated product has not been made available before and it is highly unlikely to become available again,when my stock is gone.

airrat

I think I got your email. If not I saw the auctions. Due to funds I didnt bid. Hopefully another time but thanks for thinking about me.

elody21

Originally posted by ligget
<br />Email this guy: alanbell316a@eircom.net
I just bought some Irish bog oak blanks from him, he may have some left. He stays in Ireland.
This is the same person I believe I got mine from.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Alice, I bought from Alan as well. Prompt service and interesting wood. I have just started to turn it and am falling in love with it. My ancestors came over from County Mayo in Ireland, and I have always been fascinated with things from Ireland. I'll post some pictures when I get some pens finished.

JimGo

Funny...I won one of the auctions too! Hope I wasn't bidding against any of my friends here!

Lou, thanks for the update on Mike (Mik).

Mik, here's wishing you a speedy recovery! I look forward to seeing a lot more of your beautiful, inspirational work.

Ligget

Tom he is selling around 6 lots of Irish Bog Oak again on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3126&item=8203980071&rd=1
I am waiting for mine to be delivered, so I don`t know how fast the turn around is![;)]

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Funny...I won one of the auctions too! Hope I wasn't bidding against any of my friends here!

I won two of them. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings here also.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, so your the sucker that beat me out... [}:)]
When they come in, I would like to buy one or two from you... preferably big enough to do a Baron with.. let me know.. Thanks

JimGo

LOL...I'd be happy to Tom. With the way Customs works, I don't expect to get them for probably 2 weeks or so, but when they come in, I'll let you know.

elody21

The first set I got came in barely a week! Twice as fast as coming from Canada! I am still waiting for the second set. I have not turned any yet.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you missed out on his last auction, there's more up.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZ5542alanQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI
One + days left on this one.

Kurt Aebi

Here's a couple of pens that I made from an Irish Blackthorn Walkingstick.

Turns pretty well, but it was extremely dry and wanted to splinter a bit.

2005711115442_Blackthorn%20for%20Maura%2001.jpg
<br />

2005711115457_Blackthorn%20for%20Maura%2002.jpg
<br />

I also have done onw from a piece of wild rose. It was sent to me by a friend in England, not sure if they are in Ireland as well.

200571112321_Wild%20Rose_SM.jpg
<br />

mikes pens

Okay, my last post didn't post so I will try again. I just got some old wood from a guy in the States. You can find his web site at:

http://www.ancientwood.com

I found out about him from a woodworking magazine I get. It is called "Woodworker's Journal, August 2005, Volume 29, Number 4". The wood is a beautiful golden colour. Some of the pieces I got have some figuring to them - wow! The wood has been in a swamp for over 40,000 years. If you like turning OLD wood, check out the site.

Mike

200571319311_Ancient%20Kauri.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom