Anyone Try This Source?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Si90

Taylors Mirfield

I am trying to get an estimate on US shipping rates.

If it helps. I have shipped a number of pens to the States. For a tube that measures about 5in diameter by 9" long I pay around ÂŁ15 sterlling (about $23) for a signed for and tracked service fully insured upto ÂŁ250. If I remember correctly the weight is upto 2kg.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Taylors Mirfield

I am trying to get an estimate on US shipping rates.

If it helps. I have shipped a number of pens to the States. For a tube that measures about 5in diameter by 9" long I pay around ÂŁ15 sterlling (about $23) for a signed for and tracked service fully insured upto ÂŁ250. If I remember correctly the weight is upto 2kg.
sounds plausable..we can send your way for around that with a weight limit of 4 pounds much more for heavier packages.

TonyL

I heard back from the rep/owner (Dan) and he said:

"My kits are made in Taiwan to my specifications and I must add, not made by Berea or Dayacom. I have developed a relationship a company in Taiwan that i trust. I also specify the platings so you will most likely findthat I offer kits in platings available by other suppliers."

He stated the above after I asked him if I could finds his TM kits from a US source/distributor.
He also said that shipping was about 7.70 GBP up to 500g and my membership in the UK Penturners club (also a free club) entitles me to 10% off.

I am just posting what he said. And I am only talking about his own TM kits. His kits weigh approx. 40g each.

FWIW,

Tony

Last edited:

longbeard

Last edited:

TonyL

So you think his omega is similar to the virage? I w ould say there a very close match

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm always a little skeptical when someone claims to have a source that none of the rest of us seem to be able to find...He does not appear to be big enough to be the only customer of a company sophisticate enough to make all those kits.

TonyL

I am glad that you mentioned that Ed. During my exchanges with him, I can't say (and I wouldn't say) anything other than he responded to my questions quickly and professionally.

The post has amicably run its course with lots of good feedback. I am very appreciative and highly value everyone's response.

Peace

Ed McDonnell

The omega appears to use the same finials, couplers and section as the Virage. The clip is very different though. If the manufacturer won't package that clip with those other components for anyone else, that would make it "exclusive".

Berea claims design patents on the Virage. Wonder if changing the clip was enough to circumvent the patents? Maybe there are other changes that can't be detected from a picture. Threading (virage = 4 starts )? Diameter / size of components?

Platings offered on the omega appear the same as what is offered on the Virage by some resellers.

Ed

JamesDSmith

Hi All, I've been hidden in the back ground reading for a few months now but this thread prompted me to sign up.

I have dealt with Dan ordering from US and UK (i have family in Florida and a workshop).
The Omega kit is very similar to the Virage but some clear differences. The many difference is a different clip which in my opinion is better as I the biggest flaw in the virage is the roller clip breaking.

It is also my understanding that the Patent for the Virage only covers the ballpoint and not the Fountain and Rollerball. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Anyway, I have dealt with this company and in my opinion the service and quality of goods is very good.

James

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi All, I've been hidden in the back ground reading for a few months now but this thread prompted me to sign up.

I have dealt with Dan ordering from US and UK (i have family in Florida and a workshop).
The Omega kit is very similar to the Virage but some clear differences. The many difference is a different clip which in my opinion is better as I the biggest flaw in the virage is the roller clip breaking.

It is also my understanding that the Patent for the Virage only covers the ballpoint and not the Fountain and Rollerball. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Anyway, I have dealt with this company and in my opinion the service and quality of goods is very good.

James

Your information is incorrect.

Because these are US Patents, it would prohibit copying in the USA and, as I understand it, purchasing the copy in the USA. MAY NOT be enforceable against someone copying the design anywhere else in the world.

I know there are several manufacturers who will MAKE anything, they claim no involvement in patent searches. Don't know how this will hold up, if ever challenged.

Attachments

• Virage RB label.jpg
    Virage RB label.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

James
Design patents usually only cover certain aspects of the design. Patents are only enforced if the holder of the patent brings suit.

I don't know if UK and USA have any agreements in place that would allow patent violation suits to be brought in this situation. Although I think that technically it is a customs violation in the USA to import items infringing on USA Patents --- I'm not sure how that is enforced. Particualrily on small orders.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The omega appears to use the same finials, couplers and section as the Virage. The clip is very different though. If the manufacturer won't package that clip with those other components for anyone else, that would make it "exclusive".

Berea claims design patents on the Virage. Wonder if changing the clip was enough to circumvent the patents? Maybe there are other changes that can't be detected from a picture. Threading (virage = 4 starts )? Diameter / size of components?

Platings offered on the omega appear the same as what is offered on the Virage by some resellers.

Ed
That is true but it would apply only to that manufacturer. I have some designs that one manufacturer will not make for anyone else - but if you take that design to a different maker they will have no qualms about reproducing it. It does mean that he can honestly say it is made exclusively for him even if someone else duplicates it.

magpens

The focus for this company's offereings seems to lately be focussed on the Virage-like rollerball and fountain pen kits.

Do they offer a Ballpoint Virage-lookalike ? I don't see it.

JamesDSmith

James

Your information is incorrect.

Because these are US Patents, it would prohibit copying in the USA and, as I understand it, purchasing the copy in the USA. MAY NOT be enforceable against someone copying the design anywhere else in the world.

I know there are several manufacturers who will MAKE anything, they claim no involvement in patent searches. Don't know how this will hold up, if ever challenged.

I stand corrected Ed, thanks. I must agree with John, as a UK pen turner the quality of kits now available in the UK since Dan started have improved 10 fold.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have often discussed how time consuming international sales are. Custom forms are the start and answering questions about delivery is also a "time sink".

Just amuses me that the rest of the world is amazed at how much variety the USA vendors offer. We fill orders, worldwide.

But some of the guys in the USA keep searching for an off-shore supplier that is a nickle cheaper. Something about the grass being greener, I guess.

To those in UK, ENJOY having a good supplier there!! Be loyal to them so they can survive and thrive!!

Last edited:

its_only_me

I stand corrected Ed, thanks. I must agree with John, as a UK pen turner the quality of kits now available in the UK since Dan started have improved 10 fold.

Dan, you have introduced a few new kits, but to say it has improved the quality of kits in the UK 10 fold is just wishful thinking. I am not knocking your efforts, they are laudable, but keep your feet on the ground.

PenPal

How civil of everyone to be gracious in business dealings to the extent that there is room for so many dealers in the world if I remember correctly Timberbits.com has free freight to some countries also a great bonus. Penmakers the world over suffer from the vagaries of China their dealing in US Dollars etc etc heavy freight charges. On some sites its a privilige for dealers to advertise, share on the forum to help overcome the isolation they have suffered from the monopolies. Been a member here for years now for such a huge membership the contribution level is low refreshing to me are the overseas contributers such as my mate the most favourite rat who has rewritten the book IMHO on how to make a pen, vitality humour and downright sharing.

I remember clearly first pen everything came to us from America considering the vagaries of location and availability. Something we forget that the UK has access to Europe we can only dream of.

As you prepare for July 4 in America consider ancestors who came from? made it possible for you and the same stock over here for me to now enjoy a common hobby.

Kind regards

Peter.

Top Bottom