Anyone try making a Baron RB into a ball point?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search on the site here and couldn't find anything about turning a Baron rollerball into a ball point. I have never really been a rollerball fan; a ballpoint works better for me.

I have recently started turning Baron's and really like the look/feel of them. I would like to convert one into a ball point. I compared the cartridge from a Patriot to a cartridge of a Baron; the Patriot ball point cartridge is shorter.

I am wondering if it would work if I stuck a longer spring in the Baron and used the Patriot ball point cartridge? Or, is there a ball point cartridge that is the same size as the rollerball cartridge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

A couple of things come to mind. First, why not go with a Jr Gent Ballpoint?

Second, if it's the weight without the cap that feels good, just cut the tube shorter to fit the parker refill. This would be dependent upon the parker refill fitting through the nib and into the finial.

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />A couple of things come to mind. First, why not go with a Jr Gent Ballpoint?

Second, if it's the weight without the cap that feels good, just cut the tube shorter to fit the parker refill. This would be dependent upon the parker refill fitting through the nib and into the finial.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the Jr. Gent ball point a twist-style pen? I like the two piece concept.

I have thought about shortening the tube, but not sure if the longer spring would do the trick. I guess I can always slide a ball point cartridge into the Baron and see how it fits.

mrcook4570

Yes, the Jr Gent ball point is a twist pen.

A longer spring may work, but it may also allow for too much movement in the upper end of the refill and possibly unseating itself, unless it (the refill) is held in place by the smaller diameter if the finial.

Okay, the straight trade-out won't work. The tip of the ball point is longer than the rollerball. For that to work I will need to make an insert. Hmmmm... wonder what I have laying around...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
It seems to me I looked into doing this also(Though I prefer the way a roller ball writes over a starndard Parker), but I was wondering since I have a lot of refills laying around.I had considered using a siphon tube froma spray bottle as a spacer.You would also need a spacer in the upper end of the RB.

twoofakind

Hey Scott,
I was doing some research on some refills last week and ran across a refill that would allow you to put a ballpoint in a rollerballs place. It is the Schmidt 2010 model. I looked on the yafaoutlet and found them and it says that it fits most rollerball pens. I would post a link, but I am not sure if it is allowed. Just do a google on that model and you should see it.
Andy

tnilmerl

The Schmidt refill is good choice.

Anytime you compare cartridges, to need to examine the entire cartridge for various dimensions besides just length. The Schmidt has a shoulder near the tip that prevents the cartridge from protruding too far from the nib. Some cartridges' barrel near the tip is slightly larger than the OEM provided cartridge, so the replaement will not slide out the nib. Have to ream out the nib inner dimension slightly to use the replacement.

Food for thought. I'd have to go back to my notes to see which alternate cartridges work well in replacement of existing cartridges.

bjackman

I've done this conversion using two pieces of a rollerball's cap, trimmed to length. One goes in the nib end for the refill's shoulder to rest on. The second goes on the top to create the right amount of push/tension from the back. I can take some photos tonight if you would like. Send me a PM.

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />I've done this conversion using two pieces of a rollerball's cap, trimmed to length. One goes in the nib end for the refill's shoulder to rest on. The second goes on the top to create the right amount of push/tension from the back. I can take some photos tonight if you would like. Send me a PM.

After looking up the 2010 refills I got the idea to try the rollerball's cap. I am glad to know that I am going down the right road [:)] Photo's are ALWAYS welcome! [:D]

bjackman

just re-read my post,
It's not the shoulder that rests on the nib end insert, but the spring. The trimmed piece of cap acts as an extensionof the interior shoulder of the pen's nib assembly. not an extension of the refill's shoulder.

bradbn4

I think that the Pilot G2 Gel re-fill will work in the Barron. If I remember correctly the point sticks out just a bit more than the roller ball. I went to stables with re-fill in hand and found one that looked cloes - and it so happend was quite a bit cheaper than most other refills.

Bradbn4

bjackman

20061024162751_refill%201.jpg

2006102416288_refill%202.jpg

terrymiller

Scott you might want to try taking the pen itself down to A Pen Lovers Paradise located down by the Courthouse in Virginia Beach. Pam in there is great and she stocks just about every refill you can think of. You can actually try the refill right on the spot to find the one that fits best. After you find which one works you can always find a source online for later use. If you need directions or have any questions call me 470-4092.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom