anyone tried yellow pine?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zapdafish

I tried a segmented stave "bowl" which turned out more like a vase and was quite suprised at how well the grain looked after I applied my finish to it. The dark grain lines look almost golden. I guess its quartersawn pine :tongue:. I never expected to go to home depot and pick through their pine section for grain.

I've been trying to turn a pen blank out of it and whenever I get it down to an 1/8" - 1/4" or so from the bushing the blank explodes and chunks start flying off. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? Maple, walnut, zebrawood and acrylics give me no problems at all. I've gone through 4 blanks so far trying to shave it down but something catches and then bam.

thanks...Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

try soaking it in thin ca glue and let dry when u get down to where it is blowing out on you. i had to do this when i was fooling around with a scrap piece of pine the other day.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Too bad you did not get in on the PITH we did,:frown: it was a Pine theme, which has me a "marked" man I think.:eek:

ctubbs

Too bad you did not get in on the PITH we did,:frown: it was a Pine theme, which has me a "marked" man I think.:eek:

I hope some morning Landon gets up and puts on a pair of drawers with 10,00 splinters of Pine in the seat!!!:eek::eek::eek:

With the splinters well soaked in Habanero powder!
We really do love you, Landon! Thanks for the challenge!:eek::rolleyes:
Charles

Rick P

Not at all Landon.....in fact send me a mailing address I got an adorable pet for you, he's pure bred WOLVERINE!.......and I been poking him with a stick instead of feeding him for a week! You'll want to get him out of the pen for a good cuddle right away, best way to bond with a wolverine!

Rick P

Steve stabilize with CA as you turn and if your a religious man prey! I'm up to 3 segmented blanks and about 5 non segmented root stock blanks. Wood from the pine family can be beautiful in fact I just sold a spruce root modified pen for over $100 and the lady didn't hesitate in the slightest, but it is challenging to turn! In all honesty the PITH pen has taught me more than anything else I have turned and I am actually happy to have been given the challenge!

Top Bottom