Is anyone seen this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

I found this interesting video while searching Japanese pen makers. 「大西製作所ã€ä¸‡å¹´ç*†è£½ä½œé¢¨æ™¯ï¼ˆåŠ*工編) - YouTube
I am Japanese but relativity new to the pen making so don't know much about it. Is anyone using this kind of lathe in US or else? Wooden chuck with o-ling clamp idea may be adopted for kitless makers. Here is the original site. ¡Ö¼êºî¤êËüǯɮ¡×Æý¸¡ÃPEN-HOUSE¡¡Ëüǯɮ¡¡¥Ü¡¼¥ë¥Ú¥ó¤Ê¤É°ìήɮµ*¶ñ¤ÎÈÎÇä ¡Ú¥Ú¥ó¥Ï¥¦¥¹¡Û Yoshi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

It looks like the tool he is using is set a specific distance from the table top so that he gets the same diameter on all the pen parts? Interesting to watch.

azamiryou

Lest there be any confusion, these are all different penmakers (in different studios, I believe). The first one is Mr. Oonishi, the wood one is Mr. Hirai, and the one doing the threading is Mr. Yamamoto.

(This is from a quick look. My Japanese is imperfect, so please forgive me if I've made a mistake. よろしくお願いいたします。)

Matthew, You are absolutely correct. Your Japanese is excellent if you can read kanji.
すばらしい!

edstreet

Sigh, I am amazed at the amount of people who do not know history that well. This is an antique line shaft setup. the belts you see in the back that has been repaired heavy is the drive belt, in the roof of the building is a big shaft that is turned by a motor of some form.

azamiryou

Sigh, I am amazed at the amount of people who do not know history that well. This is an antique line shaft setup. the belts you see in the back that has been repaired heavy is the drive belt, in the roof of the building is a big shaft that is turned by a motor of some form.

I figured that much out, but why two belts and what is the lever doing? Two speeds? Forward and reverse? (The lever appears to be operated by foot pedal.)

The different angles of the belts make me think forward/reverse, with one of the belts twisted...

Carl Fisher

I got lost in a world of youtube Japanese pen making videos last night. Just kept following the related videos.

Truly amazing how many ways there are to accomplish a task. We're so hung up on having a certain tool to do the job over here that we don't realize that there are learned skill old world ways to accomplish the same thing.

I figured that much out, but why two belts and what is the lever doing? Two speeds? Forward and reverse? (The lever appears to be operated by foot pedal.)

The different angles of the belts make me think forward/reverse, with one of the belts twisted...

I think the lever is a clutch that release the tension from the belt for the safety while changing the blank.
I noticed there are two levers. One on the left side may be for changing speed.

Last edited:

edstreet

I think the lever is a clutch that release the tension from the belt for the safety while changing the blank.
I noticed there are two levers. One on the left side may be for changing speed.

Very close. The way these things are setup is you have an idle pulley typically the rear most gear. The forward gears are speed. You have a shifter that will pull the belt from
the idle gear to the drive gear that will operate the equipment.

like this
IMG_7114.JPG

pulled back
IMG_7128.JPG

What you do not see in the video is the 2 foot switches that is under the table.

In a classic setup one belt comes from the engine (jack shaft in this case) to the pulley block, there are 2 gears, the idle gear and drive gear, the second belt is to switch speeds on the pulley, i.e. fast speed, slow speed.

Last edited:
You know seeing these videos sure makes you think. I have been looking at a new lathe and agonizing over which one to get, then you see true craftsmen using what they have and making true art with it! Did you see the turning tools that he was using? A knife! Amazing

edstreet

Now let me throw in a curve ball for you.

Knife Sharpening Secrets - Japanese Knives - YouTube

The knife he is using was made and sharpened in this method. I would gladly take a super sharp knife like that any day of the week over a dull chisel. This really puts things into perspective in our culture/economy where tools is the fetish and the more over the top and higher cost trumping those simpler ones that can do a superior job, if used properly.

This also puts tools like easy wood chisels into perspective to really show how degraded our methodology is when it comes to tool selection.

Top Bottom