Anyone powdercoat for IAP members?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I have been toying with making some pens like Ligget's awesome aluminum Baron. I wanna try copper, brass, and 'looninum.

However, I want to powdercoat them and I just don't have the money to put into a full powdercoat setup since it will only be used once in a blue moon.

Does anyone here clear powdercoat? If so, how much would you charge per tube?

Thanks!

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Modelmaker

I do powdercoating and have the setup. And I'm willing to help out.
send me an email and we'll get you set up.

Charge? no clue, maybe a blank or a spare kit, or even better a cup of coffee!

Firefyter-emt

Same here, I have always done it on the barter plan if anyone ever needs some done.

PS, I am not trying to pull it from Modelmaker at all, just thought I would mention it for anyone else who might be wondering. I can coat upto maybe 10" square which gives me some room to play with if anyone needs things other than pen tubes done. ;)

Modelmaker

Originally posted by turned_for_good

Originally posted by Modelmaker

Sounds like a great idea.
I'll donate powder coating of 5 items to one of the next raffles or fundraisers.
I've got a set of 18" rims I need done.:D

Ok, let me re-phrase that "I'll donate powder coating of 5 pen related items"
:D

Sylvanite

Matt,

Since I live nearby (I think), why don't you drop by some evening and we can powder-coat a batch for you? Perhaps someday I may ask you to spray some of my pens with conversion varnish.

Regards,
Eric

redfishsc

Not a bad idea Eric. I live in Wake Forest. I don't have anything turned at the moment--- I was checking around to see if powdercoating was available before I did this, and it may be the end of the semester before I get to it.

BTW, if you want some pens sprayed with CV, I will be doing some spraying in the near future (around mid-May) and would be glad to spray whatever you want.

Thanks Eric!
Matt

Hello

OK
So, this thread has caused a bunch of questions for me!

I hope someone is willing to answer them.
1.) does powder coating have to be a single solid color?
2.) can I turn aluminum with a jet mini and sorby tools?
3.) are there any durability issues with the paint after the powder coat is applied?
4.) are there limits to the addative variables? (pearling, shiny speckly things...etc)

Modelmaker

Powder coating can be done in multiple colors. Here at work I've done a flame job on a part as a joke and everyone loved it.
I have done fades before but they are a royal pain and will most likely not do them again.
not sure about the turning issues, I always use a metal lathe for metals
Powdercoating is probably one of the most durable finished that you can fine, most of the abuses that would harm it would most likely destroy the pen too.
no limits, I have access to color changing powders, sparkles, flats, etc... I even mix up my own colors from timt to time

redfishsc

Originally posted by Hello

OK
So, this thread has caused a bunch of questions for me!

I hope someone is willing to answer them.
1.) does powder coating have to be a single solid color?
2.) can I turn aluminum with a jet mini and sorby tools?
3.) are there any durability issues with the paint after the powder coat is applied?
4.) are there limits to the addative variables? (pearling, shiny speckly things...etc)

Yes, you can turn aluminum on a wood lathe, but as far as using Sorby tools, I wouldn't know because I refuse to buy them[:eek:)] (it's an integrity thing with me, I can't see them charging $100 for $6 worth of HSS on a bowl gouge because of the name). That being said, and somewhat off topic, there are a handful of tutorials about turning metal. I have had good luck using huge spindle gouges (the ones that come in the cheap-yet-strangely-effective Harbor Freight set).

Hello

this is good to know!
I'm probably gonna' try it (turning aluminum) and pay one of you guys to powdercoat a color changing flame on the blank!

Top Bottom