Anyone notice BO problems lately?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

:D LOL I thought that would get your attention. By BO I mean Bog Oak. I made a Baron with Bog Oak about six months ago and when I took it out of the pen box yesterday to admire again it had a nice long crack in the bottom barrel. Now that my friends is a real pisser in my opinion. I'm really :( because I had even used a 925 sterling silver Baron kit, anyone else notice this?

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope this isn't a prelude of things to come as I just recently made a few bog oak pens.

On a side note, where did you find the .925 sterling silver baron? I know AS has the El Grande and Flat Top American in solid sterling, but their baron is plated.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wayne - I have a couple of bog oak pens that are six months old. No cracking at this point. I'll cross my fingers for the rest of your BO pens. [8D]

Rudy Vey

Wayne, I have made my share of Bog Oak pens, mostly Baron, Slimline (due to blank size) and Perfect Fit Convertable. The oldest are now well over 6 month old, and mostly sold, but I have two of the first ones left, they are fine, no cracks or else. Maybe the wood you turned the pen from was not quite dry.
From our vacation in Ireland I brought back some real large blanks, all over 1" square and 6 1/2 to 7 1/2" long. They have not too long been out of the bog, they were really heavy and wet and I am drying them now.
As soon as there is no weight change (loss) for some time, I will send them out for stabilization - this wood is worth to be stabilized. It is supposedly 3000-5000 years old, they can calculate this from how deep it was buried since they know the growth rate of the bogs (I think it was 1 mm per year, so 1 meter deep would be 1000 years). From my seller I also learned quite a bit about radio carbon dating. He was telling me that the certificate of radio carbon dating from the Queen's University in Belfast is a fake one (the one with the age of roughly 1500 years, the time when St Patrick was living in Ireland - good selling point for Americans with Irish roots). Well, myself I got a copy of the same certificate from two different sellers for quite different looking IBO. An analysis for the age (Radio Carbon dating) costs accrding to my seller about 1700 Euros, that is over $2000. So one must have a ship load of Bog oak to recover the cost for this by selling pen blanks.

Randy_

Several months ago an IAP member did me a very nice favor and sold me a couple of spare blanks...at a very good price.....out of an order that he had just received. The blanks were quite heavy when I got them and I thought they felt damp; but wasn't sure it wasn't my imagination. I put them in my wood drawer and sort of forgot about them until a week or so ago.........surprise, surprise as Gomer would say. I pulled them out of the drawer and saw that they had shrunk and twisted quite badly.....I'll bet the twist was 20°!!! Fortunately, they started off as perfectly square 7/8" blanks and even with the distortion that I now have, they will be perfectly usable blanks as I have a couple of Jr. Statesmans Ver I in rhodium that I have been saving.

And the point of all of the above......if I had turned those blanks as soon as I received them, I, too, would have had some seriously cracked pens. Looks like the prudent thing to do is to assume the blanks have a high moisture content and act accordingly!!

Daniel

I have to agree with Randy, I also got a blank large enough to make an Emporer pen from. I usually let any blank set for a while so it can dry and stabalize to my climate. in this case I was making a pen kit that cost me $160. i was taking my time. the pen is now several months old and no problems at all. I also gave it a good soaking of CA just before starting the final sanding. it drank it up pretty good.
all wood even if considered dry already, needs time to adjust to the humidity of your specific area. Stabalizing is one way around this, otherwise a month or two on the shelf will help stop a lot of cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom