Anyone made a pen out of these rods?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

http://www.masecraftsupply.com/Merc...reen=CTGY&Store_Code=MU&Category_Code=LVSACRR

"THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT MADE IN ROD FORM CONSISTING OF A SOLID OR HOLLOW CORE WRAPPED WITH REAL SHELL WITH A ACRYLIC OUTER LAYER."

A little pricey but it could make for a real cool pen if it was workable. I wonder if they would consider making a 3/4" diameter?

Rodgroup.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

Looks cool, but the diameter of the shell layer might be too big. Once turned down to pen size, you'll be at the solid core. But if they made a 3/4" version, it might work.

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Justin, I have seen these in person and felt they would not work for pens. If you give it a try, let me know if I'm wrong. Their warehouse isn't too far from my house.

wood-of-1kind

I contacted their customer service in regards to "offering" alternate sizes that would be better suited to the penmaker. Here's their response:

Hello, yes we are planning on making pen blank sizes and we are working
prototypes for this now. Plans are for 7,8,10mm and 3/8 dia inner tube with
3/4" outer diameter. We are simply perfecting the process, sourcing the
materials and molds. Hope to have these on the market in 90 days but of
course this is what I told myself 90 days ago.

Hope this helps,
Chris

jleiwig

I contacted their customer service in regards to "offering" alternate sizes that would be better suited to the penmaker. Here's their response:

Hello, yes we are planning on making pen blank sizes and we are working
prototypes for this now. Plans are for 7,8,10mm and 3/8 dia inner tube with
3/4" outer diameter. We are simply perfecting the process, sourcing the
materials and molds. Hope to have these on the market in 90 days but of
course this is what I told myself 90 days ago.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Good to know. Thanks for taking the initiative.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
While I realize this CAN sound like "sour grapes", I feel I should express it, anyhow.

I have contacted my source in Europe and he has "field tested" this material with penmakers. IF you drill dead center of the black inside, all will go well. However, his test with Brits using drill presses and wood lathes found they penetrated the shell layer more often than they thought acceptable.

Of course, if you are using a two piece pen, you will need two different diameters, as well. In short, they ARE trying to develop a product that can work for pen makers. In HIS esteem, this is NOT it.

IF his esteem ever changes, "exotics" will have access to the product, from the manufacturer in Asia, through our European ties.

I am always willing to listen to anyone who finds a product that shows promise. I have gained this information, since I saw this post yesterday. Any additional comments from users are welcome.

jleiwig

I have contacted my source in Europe and he has "field tested" this material with penmakers. IF you drill dead center of the black inside, all will go well. However, his test with Brits using drill presses and wood lathes found they penetrated the shell layer more often than they thought acceptable.

Well there is his mistake. He needs to let some Americans test it. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I think that your friend isn't comparing apples to apples. From the email wood of 1kind got, it sounds like they plan on forming the Abalam sheets around brass tubes and then casting in resin. Maybe you should try to source the Abalam sheets so you can beat him to the punch at his own game?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The sheets have been available to me for years. They were too thick to use for pens.

Maybe they are on a diet.

BTW, have you ever tried "bending" a shell?? ANY shell!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
They list a .010 sheet 5 1/2 x 9 1/2. That wasn't thin enough?

That would be thin enough, now to bend it around tubes??? Of course, you have to keep the seam invisible.

If you'll buy the sheets, I will see if I can add them. I think they are coming from a source I can use.

Top Bottom