Anyone know this wood? (Guesses are OK)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Doesn't cedar smell? I think I got the first one from Victor. The second one might be maple. (I think it came from a TV tray leg) The last one I don't have a clue. It's gray like walnut but doesn't match any of the walnut I have.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by rjwolfe3

Doesn't cedar smell? I think I got the first one from Victor. The second one might be maple. (I think it came from a TV tray leg) The last one I don't have a clue. It's gray like walnut but doesn't match any of the walnut I have.

That first one looks like it could be sapwood from cedar, which isn't going to smell much. Is is soft?

Armacielli

Since cedar has been guessed I'm gonna go with Juniper for the first. The second looks too yellow to be maple, but not grainy enough for oak IMO. The third looks like white holly from the picture. I am by no means a botanist.

rjwolfe3

By soft, do you mean can I dent it with my fingernail, then yes, lol. I have a couple pieces of this. Most of them look the same way. Isn't there more then one type of cedar as well? Thanks for helping me. About half of the blanks I own are not marked. Kinda hard to sell a pen made with unknown wood, lol.

rjwolfe3

Christian,
I'm afraid my photos are what make this difficult. The 2nd has a clear finish on it. I made a pencil from a different piece but same wood source. If I get a chance I will post it in the morning. The third one got washed out when I took the photo, its actually very gray looking wood with very little grain pattern. Thanks for the reply.

rlharding

Pallett wood/ not like any cedar I have seen here and I have a lot of cedar. Tulip wood sap?
Not Maple. It sort of looks stringy when you put your face to the screen. Could it be sapwood from a palm?
Can't see the pic.

Have you asked teh people who supplied you with the wood?

rjwolfe3

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to agree with the first one since most of you think its cedar. (At least thats what I'm going to tell my customers, lol)

On the 2nd one, here is a pencil I turned with another piece of it.
tn_100_1926_25.jpg

The wood is very yellow with tight grain and it came from a TV tray leg. It's very hard.

The third one came from a 1x2 that was in an appliance package. The whole wood is gray in and out with no variance and it's kinda soft.

I would asked the people who supplied it but I supplied 2 and 3 and I don't know what they are, hence the reason I am asking here.

Thanks again for your help.

sbell111

1) flame whitewood
2) Yellawood (I so a commercial for that kind this morning)
3) whitewood

<edited to fix obvious incorrect guess>

M

monkeynutz

Hard to see, but I have a piece of flame box elder that looks very much like the first piece. All the cedar I have has the classic aroma to some degree, even the sapwood (though not as much).

rjwolfe3

I think I've decided that the 2nd one is beech. I went online and looked up the natural TV Tray sets and they called it beech wood. I looked at some pictures of beech and it looks similar. I wish it was spalted, looks so much more interesting. The 3rd is probably going in the burn pile. It is just so bland. It's a shame too because I have about 12 pen blank sizes. But you can't always use all the wood you get, can you.:D Much thanks to those that were helpful. I have a lot more wood that needs identified but I think I'll just leave it sit. Too much trouble to photograph it and then post.
Thanks again.

Sfolivier

"The 3rd is probably going in the burn pile"

Actually, you should keep it for segmented work. I agree that it would be bland by itself, but you never have to use things by themselves.

Top Bottom