Anyone know what kind of wood this is?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I have no clue; it was part of a big box of random pen blanks I got from eBay. Makes a pretty pen, but I'm not sure what it is. I thought it might be palm, but I can't tell.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

/forum/albums/JimGo/MysteryWood2.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Okay, here's another one.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200521443131_DSCN2240a.jpg
<br />

JimGo

LOL...oh well, thanks anyway Gary! Anyone else??? It turned very easily, and it looks pretty, so I'd like to get some more, if I can figure out what it was!

jimr

From your first shot I thought it looked like lacewood or leapord wood. when I saw the closeups my first thought was quarter sawn whiteoak but if it is looks stained dark.

JimGo

The colors in the 2nd set of pictures are closer to the right color, and no, it hasn't been dyed. That is, unless the entire blank was dyed before I got it. As for smell, I had a painter's mask on (had been turning cocobolo, and read all sorts of bad things about breathing it in), so I'm not sure. I'll have to find some pictures of Wenge to see how close they are to my pen.

JimGo

Yes, based on the pictures in the classifieds (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3710), it does look like it was Walnut. Thanks for the feedback everyone! And I agree Kurt, even for a novice like me, Walnut turns like butter. I should have started with Walnut instead of Rosewood! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom