Anyone Know this Tree ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I came across this the other day and had to carry it off. Im not sure what kind of tree it is or even if the wood will be worth turning but with so many little out growths Im hoping the outer wood will have some unique grain. Any idea what it might be? Im thinking locust because there were some sharp pointed little growths also.

200831885620_011.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Where did you find it? Is it dense?

Looks a little like American Hornbeam, AKA Musclewood, Ironwood.

Might also be American Beech.

Chasper

The rings on black locust are not close together at all, they are more like osage; spread out a long way. Honey locust rings are also not all that tight. If it was honey locust you wouldn't find a few pointed growths, you would find an amazing mass of thorns. The bark is also wrong for both.

I'd guess hophornbeam. I've got a beam of hophormbeam out of an old barn that has at least 125 growth rings in a four inch radius. The bark (or apparent lack of bark) is also likely hophornbeam.

If you're coming to the MPG, in Champaign next Saturday (March 29), bring a piece and someone is bound to know what it is.

Who knows, you may leave with a different piece of wood in exchange for a piece of this wood.:D

OldWrangler

Definitely not Cedar and never seen Persimmon that big. I'm guessing one of the Hornbeams. Let's see that baby cut open. The color of the wood might have a clue.

Dario

Originally posted by OldWrangler

never seen Persimmon that big.

First, I am not sure how big this piece is (no scale).
Second, I've seen a lot of Persimmon that are 12"+ in diameter.

If it is more than 8" diameter and it is Persimmon, the pith/core should be black and the rest are almost white. The wood should be very hard also.

chigdon

Not persimmon - alligator skin bark is it's defining characteristic.

Not hophornbeam - has a shredded bark.

Likely American Hornbeam/Musclewood (Carpinus caroliniana)- it has smooth bark and looks 'muscular', grows very slow with fine grain. It pretty much always grows near a stream. Was this in a low area? It will usually have a lot of other trees like it nearby. Does this sound close?

Tonto

Doesn't look like it has any bark......was it standing dead timber? a cross section and board cut would help too, interesting.....

JohnU

I got it in a yard of cut trees where the lumberjacks shred it into mulch. It is about 10 to 12" thick and maybe 6' long. There was no bark on the tree and its pretty dry so it was light to pick up vs green lumber. I will try to get a couple images of it cut tomorrow. I planned on that yesterday but I had an oak burl to slice first. Thanks

JohnU

Ok, I finally got a few pics of the inside. Im kinda swaying towards some kind of Elm. Only ive never seen an elm with those knobs and growths, just barkless.

2008321101915_008.jpg

2008321102028_003.jpg

It is very hard and a bit stringy when cut. I appreciate all the effort. Thanks, John

Tonto

looks like old stained dry sycamore...it's flaky bark peels off when dead......take a splitting maul and see if you can split it easily like firewood...if you can, it ain't sycamore or elm...looks like it has been down a season or two
What kind of trees were growing where it once stood?

low_48

I am certain that it is siberian elm. Does it have a bit of "fresh from the barn" smell. My Dad used to call these **** elm (can I say that?). When you cut those things in the spring, water will run out of them for a couple of days. Lucky you didn't have to split it, and as you said it can be stringy. The grain interlocks and is really strong.

JohnU

Not sure where it stood so I cant say what was around since I got it from a log yard. There is a smell when you cut it but it is pretty dry dry so no water. Ive cut some chinese elm which made me think this might be elm but the lumps on the outside had me stumped. I have some sycamore and I dont think the grain is the same on the quarter sawn edge... but I just cut and turn them, so I could be wrong. Thanks for all of your help and input. I'll see what I get when its turned down.

Top Bottom