Anyone know this acrylic???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I got a half dozen or so of the acrylic below from one of our members several years ago with a batch of other blanks. I want to purchase more but I have no idea where it came from. The color is actually a little darker than the photo. It looks like liquid velvet. It's not the normal type of acrylic most of us are use to turning. It smells a little pungent when turning...OK it stinks a little. It also seems to have a lower melting point than other acrylics I've turned.

Anyone know what type of acrylic it is and/or know a source for it? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bigj51

I got a half dozen or so of the acrylic below from one of our members several years ago with a batch of other blanks. I want to purchase more but I have no idea where it came from. The color is actually a little darker than the photo. It looks like liquid velvet. It's not the normal type of acrylic most of us are use to turning. It smells a little pungent when turning...OK it stinks a little. It also seems to have a lower melting point than other acrylics I've turned.

Anyone know what type of acrylic it is and/or know a source for it? Thanks.

That is crushed velvet acrylic. There is a company called craftsupplies.uk in the uk that has a few of these still. These have been discontinued and are hard to find. Richard Greenwald has the dark blue. I just scored this piece on eBay. Should be here tomorrow.

CrushedVelvet2.jpg

mrburls

I do agree with Jeff (Bigj51) that it is crushed velvet. The blue crushed velvet Richard sells is the real thing. The stuff from Craftsupplies.UK I believe (there is always a chance I'm wrong) is the later version made to look like the original crushed velvet made in Great Britian which was also called crushed velvet.

I just bought 15 or so full sheets uncut of crushed velvet in red, black, green, gold and bronze. What a find :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Red is very hard to come across in this material.

If carefully turned you can make a Jr. size pen from the 5/8" thick material.

Bigj51

Where the heck did you find that?! And uncut sheets at that! I'd gives pretty penny to be able to get more black!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Id like to find some red also. I have a pen in mind that I wanted to use it on.

Bigj51

ok maybe this is a dumb question but is crushed velvet acrylic real velvet cast in resin?

No sir. I am guessing because the overall look of it when it's turned looks like crushed velvet. Not any actually in it. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom