anyone have the Sorby ProEdge Sharpening System?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dutra

I have been looking at the Sorby ProEdge Sharpening System. Does anyone have one? Is it worth the $500 or should I just stick with a grinder and jig?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

I have been looking at the Sorby ProEdge Sharpening System. Does anyone have one? Is it worth the $500 or should I just stick with a grinder and jig?

My cousin has it and he swears by it. I actually had to listen to him rant about it for 45 minutes.. :befuddled: But I will say that it puts a great edge on your tools.

randyrls

I used one during the Turn for Troops at the local Woodcraft and it DOES put a great edge on tools. I like to put a flat bevel on my skews using a 12" disk sander, and I do the same with gouges, etc. I'll get one if I win the lottery!

Emerson Smith

Have had one for over 2 years. It does a fabulous job. Was a bit concerned when I purchased it, due to price and not a lot of feedback from users. But has proven to be a great decision. Emerson

bitshird

The belt won't give a Hollow grind, it leaves a nice flat grind so you wind up with a stronger edge and it's easier to hone between sharpening.

turff49

Bt, so would you say it's better than a Tormek?
I also see where you can use the Tormek jigs on the workshop. And read somewhere you could use them on the Sorby. Lot's of options out there. Like others, always looking for the "right" choice.

okiebugg

Stick with it

Just stay with your 'old' grinder and jig and save $500.00

You (if you're anything like me) will go back to the old way soon enough. I've tried several sharpening systems and have found that the big difference (besides set up and being cumbersome) is it does sharpen a tool and make a 'pretty' sharpened edge, but that isn't much like hand or free form sharpening with possibly the exception of 'looking pretty'.

I've been turning for at least 50 years and have always found myself going back to freehand after using one of the systems. I do on occasion use a belt sander for finess.

Merry Christmas, Jimmy

Top Bottom