Anyone have one of those little air blowers hooked to their lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

I've been thinking about getting one of those little air nozzles for turning... figured it would be a nice "luxury"... anyone have any experience with it?

Second question, what is it's "real" name? :biggrin::confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I suspect you are seeking a "blow Gun". Search amazon for "air compressor accessories" to see a bunch of alternatives.

jttheclockman

Give us a clue. What is it suppose to do. If you are looking for an air nozzle to blow dust off pen blanks I think you are asking for more trouble than it is worth. Blowing dust around a shop is not the sane thing to do in my opinion:) That is why they make dust collectors. Again my opinion.

Quality Pen

Like this... but not for spraying coolant, just the air flow. I've never used one but you'll see it on metal lathes spraying coolant:

2966.480.jpg

jttheclockman

I do not think you will get enough airflow out of it. We use to use those alot in the scrollsaw world when most saws did not come with efficient air blowers. What we would do is get an aquarium pump and hook that hose to it and direct saw dust off the project piece so we could see the pattern lines better. Again just my opinion.

KenV

Bobby, there are a huge number of different sizes the flex lock tubes. I have one at the drill press to vacuum swarf.

With lots of sizes, there are lots of orfices to direct and pressure regulators to adjust the flow rate and pressure.

What are you seeking to accomplish?

Curly

They are called coolant nozzles or air nozzles. Depending on the size they can use copious quantities of compressed air. They aren't used on wood lathes or machines because they blow the dust in the air. Better to collect it from the machine. When used on metal machines with coolant you need to wear a good cartridge mask because the atomized oil is bad for the lungs. They can also be setup with compressed air chillers to cool the cutting edge while machining or grinding. They can also be very very loud.

Quality Pen

Bobby, there are a huge number of different sizes the flex lock tubes. I have one at the drill press to vacuum swarf.

With lots of sizes, there are lots of orfices to direct and pressure regulators to adjust the flow rate and pressure.

What are you seeking to accomplish?
Well I have a dust collector on the rear and I was thinking about a blower to blow it into the collector. Quite often I have to stop turning to blow off the shavings so I can see. If I'm feeling smart and wearing my mask then it poses a problem :biggrin: .

I imagine it would also be useful while drilling on the lathe for backing out the drill and clearing it off.

TonyL

I am interested too..presently I use a fan mounted on a portable grinder stand.

Mr Vic

Had a box turning demo last month by Lois Pfost of Pueblo, CO. She brought along a bundle of flex straws. She used one to blow the shavings out of the box. She said although she has a compressor at home but still uses the straws 99% of the time. Best of all they are free with a soda at most fast food restaurants.

Quality Pen

One could argue that if you need to blow the chips away to see when turning then the DC is not set up correctly or doesn't have the capacity.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to admit that i have done things wrong in the past and will in the future!

Wealth that said I'm using the 1.5 hp psi 1micron collector and that little hood they still that magnets onto the rear. What can i look at that was possibly wrong or can be improved?

Maybe a piece of pvc to extend closer to the turnig surface?

jttheclockman

Everyone sets their shop up differently and what works for one may not for others. If you are looking to blow those swirly curls from around the mandrel when doing acrylic blanks I wish you a lot of luck and you may need a turbo fan. If you are looking to blow dust while sanding then you definitely do not have the dust collector set up right and you may need to look at that. I am not one for blowing dust around my work shop no matter how small the project. I even try to do all my sanding of projects out doors and yes I have sanded with snow on the ground. I have a small tankless Craftsman compressor that I use to blow the dust off after sanding. Any sanding on the lathe is easily caught with a dust collector using the same hood as you with the magnets. Any of the big chips will get vaced up after I get done. Mind you I only turn small projects. Works for me. That is the way it is done in my shop.

If I have to sand a project in my shop I do have a down draft table and I have a hose to hook to the dust collector. Any sanding on my oscillating sanding gets sucked into dust collector. My worst dust producing tool that I can not collect is my scroll saws. I can not and there are no good devices for this. I just have to keep the air cleaner running and clean up well when done scrolling. I usually schedule the day for just that type work and when done leave and let air cleaner to clean room for an hour or so. Trying to control dust particles is tough enough without spreading them around needlessly. But as mentioned they do make all different sizes of those hose you shown.

Now the last tool in the arsenal for dust is the trusty long time favorite Tack Cloths www.amazon.com/tack-rags/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:tack rags

Good luck in your quest to improve your shop. Remember it is your shop so do as you see fit.

Curly

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to admit that i have done things wrong in the past and will in the future!

Wealth that said I'm using the 1.5 hp psi 1micron collector and that little hood they still that magnets onto the rear. What can i look at that was possibly wrong or can be improved?

Maybe a piece of pvc to extend closer to the turnig surface?

I had a long reply but the computer ate it. Simply put the machine you have is too small. You need to let it breathe as much as possible. Use 6" PVC pipe with as few bends as possible and minimal flex hose. Keep the filter clean with your blow gun and not the paddles. They make holes in the pleats. If you want to read more as to why I say this, read Bill Pentz's site and the Woodwork Forum's Dust Collection section. Lots and lots to read and many will disagree with it but health is important. At least to me. :wink:

Skie_M

Everyone sets their shop up differently and what works for one may not for others. If you are looking to blow those swirly curls from around the mandrel when doing acrylic blanks I wish you a lot of luck and you may need a turbo fan. If you are looking to blow dust while sanding then you definitely do not have the dust collector set up right and you may need to look at that. I am not one for blowing dust around my work shop no matter how small the project. I even try to do all my sanding of projects out doors and yes I have sanded with snow on the ground. I have a small tankless Craftsman compressor that I use to blow the dust off after sanding. Any sanding on the lathe is easily caught with a dust collector using the same hood as you with the magnets. Any of the big chips will get vaced up after I get done. Mind you I only turn small projects. Works for me. That is the way it is done in my shop.

If I have to sand a project in my shop I do have a down draft table and I have a hose to hook to the dust collector. Any sanding on my oscillating sanding gets sucked into dust collector. My worst dust producing tool that I can not collect is my scroll saws. I can not and there are no good devices for this. I just have to keep the air cleaner running and clean up well when done scrolling. I usually schedule the day for just that type work and when done leave and let air cleaner to clean room for an hour or so. Trying to control dust particles is tough enough without spreading them around needlessly. But as mentioned they do make all different sizes of those hose you shown.

Now the last tool in the arsenal for dust is the trusty long time favorite Tack Cloths www.amazon.com/tack-rags/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:tack rags

Good luck in your quest to improve your shop. Remember it is your shop so do as you see fit.

Hey John ... possible fix for dust collecting at the scroll saw!

I understand that normally, it's a bad thing to have dust collection at the scroll saw, especially when working on small and intricate parts that would tend to get sucked into the DC hood and then it's gone!

However .... what if you were to position one of those flex hose attachments nearby and crane it up and over the scroll saw to come down near the work area, and use a clear hood for better visibility and light ... use the cutoff from the dust collector creatively to restrict air flow (suction) by partially closing your cutoff and possibly OPENING another cutoff ... and last, but not least, install a window screen mesh over your scroll saw DC hood to catch any small pieces before they get sucked away! :)

jttheclockman

Hey John ... possible fix for dust collecting at the scroll saw!

I understand that normally, it's a bad thing to have dust collection at the scroll saw, especially when working on small and intricate parts that would tend to get sucked into the DC hood and then it's gone!

However .... what if you were to position one of those flex hose attachments nearby and crane it up and over the scroll saw to come down near the work area, and use a clear hood for better visibility and light ... use the cutoff from the dust collector creatively to restrict air flow (suction) by partially closing your cutoff and possibly OPENING another cutoff ... and last, but not least, install a window screen mesh over your scroll saw DC hood to catch any small pieces before they get sucked away! :)

Hello Greg

The problem with a scroll saw is dust is generated on both the top of the saw and the bottom because of the action of the blade. There are a few people that have come up with contraptions and i think there are a few saws that even tried to incorporate some sort of dust collection using pvc piping and then hooking to a shop vac. I am being told they are not efficient. The last thing I want running when scrolling is a shop vac. That defining noise ruins a quiet peaceful hobby. A DC is not that much quieter and choking it down to 1-1/2" piping is not ideal use of a DC.

The use of any kind of hood is prohibitive because you need to constantly move the piece around with your hands and they are always close to the blade for better pivoting action. Also my saws are bottom feeding saws so I need to raise the piece high enough to thread the blade in the holes from the bottom so it would put the hood even further heights. They use pvc pipeing and attach to the side of the arm and do use a hose such as what has been shown but it is more hassle than what it is worth. The area around the blade holders needs to be clear so you can get your hands on them because you are constantly changing blades and threading blades in fret work. In order for high efficiency the vacuum must take place close to the blade to catch the fine dust because as I said you are spinning the piece with some great speed and spreading the dust. It is not an easy tool to dust control to say the least.

I have learned to live with it and have for almost 30 years. A good dust mask and a good cleaning of the area when done along with the air cleaner works for me.

Here is a couple ideas that people have come up with for their saws if you are interested. Do they work, to a point I guess but again more of a pain than what it is worth in my mind. Noise and in the way items does not make for a nice hobby. some day they will figure this tool out and come up with the perfect solution but until then. I do have one of those portable dust collects that Steve shows in that second video and it does help but it too is large and a pain to set up. But for having to collect dust in a certain spot they can work. It is something that can be used at a lathe also. But remember it is not a Vac. It circulates air to clean it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRyswSKJ84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--D9L3WRMoo

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91TA3dPfh4L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/atta...-saw-dust-control-rbi-dust-collection-001.jpg

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hmm ... air cleaner .... Mine is a furnace filter 20" x 20" slapped onto the back of a 20" box fan ... I have it pointed away from my lathe work area to filter the dust and pull the air away from me. :)

20 bucks for the box fan, 1 dollar for the filter ... hey, it's cheap but it helps for fine airborne dust! :)

Not superfine dust, though ... these pleated paper filters aren't THAT good...

Top Bottom