Anyone have history with this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdarragh

My father-in-law owns and operates a blueberry orchard/farm. I picked up a couple of blueberry stumps that he still had from replacing plants from a hurricane a couple of years ago. They seemed very dry on the outside and dry when I drilled and milled them. However the shavings coming off the wood when turning seem almost wet or damp. Now after initially being concerned with the wood being too punky, I am now wondering if I need to dry it more. Anyone have any advice or history from this or something similar. BTW, the wood appears highly figured and seems at this point like it might make a good pen and certainly a conversation piece for my father-in-law. Thanks,

Joe

papaturner

I have turned pens from the wood of the blueberry plant and the root. The root is much more interesting. They both turned very nice and the finih went well also.Btw I used both friction polish and a ca finish. Hope this bit helps.

jdarragh

I suppose that what I picked up would qualify as the 'root' area or at least the root ball of the bush/plant. I was just surprised that there was moisture inside of a blank that appeared so dry on the outside. I stopped short of the finished size to see if there would be any unusual checking or cracking over a day or two before I proceeded. The root ball has been out of the ground and drying now for almost three years (since hurricane Rita on the SE Texas Coast).

Glad to know that someone else has been successful at this particular wood. If it comes out OK, I'll try to post a pic. As you can see, I am quite new at the site and new at turning as well.

Thanks for the reply,

Joe

Top Bottom