Anyone have a bad reaction to Pecan?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I've been cutting up a bunch of pecan from the Oklahoma ice storm and I decided to rough a bowl from some of it. It may be coincidence because I've had a bit of a cold, but I got one of the worst sinus infections I've ever had only a day after turning it. I thought I had the flu so I went to the doctor yesterday. They tested me and she said it was a really bad sinus infection. I've only had a few sinus infections, none that come close to this one though.

We don't hear much about people having reactions to pecan, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has had a problem with pecan.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I read somewhere that Pecan is a member of the Hickory family family that also includes the Walnuts... If you weren't using respiratory protection, you may have gotten into some fine dust... I've been told that the walnuts contain a derivative of arsenic.. possibly same with the Pecan.. I have to watch any of the fine wood dusts.. I'll get a sinus reaction to any of them.

edstreet

Check this for some lowdown on how bad tree's can be. After reading I was glad to use respirators.

http://www.gvwg.ca/docs/Articles/WoodToxicity.htm

Many areas that could be the cause here:

oil in the wood when wet,
wood dust,
bacterial/fungal/etc. living on the tree,
chemicals they were treated with

pollinosis (a seasonal rhinitis resulting from an allergic reaction to pollen)

Pecans have been reported to cause severe pollinosis. Other hickory pollen are known to cause pollinosis where trees are abundant, such as in Mid-Atlantic states. Shellbark hickory pollen is known to be the most allergenic pollen in this genus

Hope this helps.

Ed

hughbie

i just finished using some pecan. it also had some spalting in it as well. i didn't have any problems stemming from using pecan. in fact, the aroma from the pecan was nice.

sorry you're having so much trouble with it. hope you heal quickly.

kirkfranks

I have not heard of that one before.
If you want to send me some blanks I will test them for you.:D
No I won't send back the completed pens.[}:)]

Hope you feel better soon.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Russianwolf

I have a bad reaction to Pecan Pie...... It makes my stomach swell up. ;)

Mike,

LOL, I was scrolling down to post the same reply!

I have a wedding to perform in a couple of weeks (in Japanese of course) and my "suit" BARELY fits. I told LOML to hold off on my Christmas Pecan pie until AFTER the wedding! I am waiting on bated breath.

Pecan allergy - if the tree has any dead and decayed spots, it probably can cause some severe allergies. This happened to me once. Regular green pecan wood - no problem but the decayed parts - the dust caused me some severe problems.

les-smith

I generally wear a dust mask. I did this time, but not the entire time. I have no dust collection system. I'm shopping for a respirator now. I'll be using it at all times now. I'm also going to build a air filter using the box fan/air filter method to start collecting some of this dust we create making stuff. This was the first time for something like this to happen to me and it'll be the last.

alamocdc

Les, I use the Triton and LOVE it. It's a bit expensive, but it kills three bords with one throw so it's well worth it IMO. Rockler, Woodcraft and CSUSA all carry it for $199.99. Every now and then you'll find it on sale at Amazon, but they're currently listing it at $269.

A review for it can be seen here.

Top Bottom