Anyone familiar with good old Rhus lancea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chrisjan

Hi everyone,

I made a startling discovery - and would like to know if any other members had the same experience before...

In South Africa, the Karee tree is a very common one... Rhus lancea. I have carved and worked with it a lot when I was a kid. So naturally I wanted to turn a pen from it. I remember a rich red colour an distinct knots and twists in the wood. I was disappointed when cutting a blank from a log and subsequently turning it - it was a mere pinkish - not what I expected... Nevertheless I turned it and finished it and while using it saw the dull spots turning up where I sanded through the ca into the wood.

One week later I noticed that the offcuts from the blank had turned red? Can it be that the wood oxidizes? the finished pen is still pink, but the raw exposed wood turned a much deeper red...

So I immediatly turned another blank. Sanded it and took it off the lathe. Its standing on the outside window sill - exposed to sun and moisture to see if it will also rust... Hopefully I can finish it and capture the rich reddish colour later

leehljp

Member Liaison
Absolutely. Many woods will do that. Mulberry will turn from a teak color to a walnut color over time. Cherry turns dark over time, Purple heart will turn brown, padduck will turn from orange to brown over time.

The real problem is that in some cases people WANT the change in color. Most people like the darker color that Cherry becomes, while few like the brown that Purpleheart becomes. I prefer the bright orange that Padduck is naturally but don't like the brown that it becomes later.

Robert111

Absolutely. Many woods will do that. Mulberry will turn from a teak color to a walnut color over time. Cherry turns dark over time, Purple heart will turn brown, padduck will turn from orange to brown over time.

The real problem is that in some cases people WANT the change in color. Most people like the darker color that Cherry becomes, while few like the brown that Purpleheart becomes. I prefer the bright orange that Padduck is naturally but don't like the brown that it becomes later.

Here's a side note on your point, Hank. I made some little clocks from fit-ups a long time ago using blanks glued up from padauk, maple, walnut, and cherry. I knew the padauk was going to turn, but I wanted that fresh orange-red color anyway, for however long it would last. I notice now that that paduak in combination with the other woods has a beautiful deep red-brown, almost the shade of aged cocobolo. I'm really glad I used it because the aged paduak is definitely an asset to the little clocks years later.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Here's a side note on your point, Hank. I made some little clocks from fit-ups a long time ago using blanks glued up from padauk, maple, walnut, and cherry. I knew the padauk was going to turn, but I wanted that fresh orange-red color anyway, for however long it would last. I notice now that that paduak in combination with the other woods has a beautiful deep red-brown, almost the shade of aged cocobolo. I'm really glad I used it because the aged paduak is definitely an asset to the little clocks years later.

Yes, you are right. My first and 7 year experience with padduck was in pen making. I love the original color and when compared to the newer, the older ones looked less bright. HOWEVER, when fore-thought is put into it as you did, the aged color looks better in those situations! I sould have clarified my statements with more thought!

Last edited:
Top Bottom