Anyone ever used Manzanita?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonSchmitt

I've never seen any posts by people using Manzanita, I am making a climbing tree for my Cockatoo and will probably have enough leftover for a pen or 2.
Having seen some great pens from some pretty strange materials, I have to wonder if there is a reason I haven't seen Manzanita.[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

I have a couple of blanks but haven't turned it yet. I wish I could recall where I got them so if I would choose to get some more . . !!

Dario

I've used the root burl but it is hard to get much blanks out of it so I seldomly have/use them. Most of the time, there are lots of cracks or rock inclusions. I have some blanks from branch sections and looks nice too but never used any yet.

Manzanita burl is a very pretty wood (one of the best I think).

BTW, do a seach on the SOYP forum's archive...you will see 2 pages full there.[;)]

dubdrvrkev

I have used the Root burl on one pen and thats all I'll proably ever do with it. As Dario said lots of junk inside of it. I had a hard time getting and finish to stay on it, CA just flung off of it. Very pretty but what a PITA.

I've never used the Manzanita.. used to live in CALIF and saw a lot of it growing up in the mountains... have heard lots of horror stories about how hard the wood is... probably has to be to grown in the rocks.

Greg, the local WoodCraft store (In Knoxville - as local as I can get) carries the roots.. don't know about pen blanks..

rpasto92

I made a keychain out of it once and have enough to make one more. It was one of the nicest pieces of wood I ever saw. I sure wish it was commercially available.

JimGo

Check the photo album:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album.asp?mode=search&AlbumUsers=0&Photo_Search=manzanita&submit1=search

chigdon

I took a root burl and tried to resaw it into pen blanks. Had it been a normal burl I would have been able to get about 12 pens out of the burl at least. With Manzanita I got ONE! It was a beautiful pen though!

Fangar

I have some that I cut up a while back and waxed. I gave some of it away with my recent sales. It is a nice wood to turn, with varying color. It finishes nicely too. I have a few more blanks left.

Fangar

Dario

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />I took a root burl and tried to resaw it into pen blanks. Had it been a normal burl I would have been able to get about 12 pens out of the burl at least. With Manzanita I got ONE! It was a beautiful pen though!

AMEN!!!

Super nice wood but yield is very low compared to other wood. I am not sure if more will come out useable if the burl is milled fresh/green.

Nolan

Yes its true its a pain in #%%# but super nice. As far as cracks and such you will see by the link from Jimgo how I dealt with it. Too bad so much waist. BTW I got some burl wood if your interested but as you can probably guess it has cracks and inclusion and rocks. But on the bright side it is absolutly beautiful. My daily pen is manz burl (with no inlay)
Nolan

punkinn

Manzanita is one of my favorite woods ever...

Here's my desk set:

S2IS_1724.jpg

Very hard wood, finishes beautifully, often a lot of voids in the root burls but the figure is extraordinary.

More photos in the "Sold Gallery" / "Desk Sets" if you're interested in more views, here: http://www.nansaidh.us/pens/

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom