Anyone ever use Mopani wood for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

As one of my other hobbies, I keep snakes as pets. Reptile keepers (aka herpers) often use a wood called Mopani (Colophospermum mopane) as logs for our snakes to hide under during the day. This wood is from Africa and it seems to be quite a bit harder than iron wood. I use Forstner bits to hollow out areas in the wood for the snakes to curl up in and even new bits start smoking after only a couple of small cuts. The wood we use for snakes is usually root wood and as such, has lots of character, nice grain and color changes from grey to black in some pieces. I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever used Mopani wood for pen blanks?

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

Yes, I have used it, not as hard
as one might expect......

If you have sharp tools, it goes easy

Give it a try, takes a great finsh

JohnU

I've made a few pens with it, from a African wood variety pack I bought some years ago. Had some nice character and turns well. Give it a shot!

InvisibleMan

I think a few of those were included in the box of assorted wood blanks I got from PSI back when I first got my lathe. I think my very first turned pen ever may have been made from it, but not sure now. It is too ugly to look at, but I don't think that's the wood's fault:smile-big:

Top Bottom