Anyone ever turned Wisteria???????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I have a fairly large piece of Wisteria, cut this week, drying in my shop.

The end cut looks like some great color.

Anyone know how it might turn? Will it make nice pen blanks?

Thanks,

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Originally posted by R2

Suck it and see.

You guys, down under, have some interesting turning techniques. [:eek:)]

This stuff is so wet, it will be a few months before I can cut it. I may just have to bake a piece when the LOML is out of the house. [:0]

If it makes a nice pen, I will certainly show it off. :D There is a knotty crotch area where all of the runners branch off. I can't wait to see what that wood looks like.

Hosspen

I've turned some wisteria vine and liked it. What I turned was a light color and some with cool dark streaks in it. The part w/out dark streaks was a bit blah though. This plant was introduced here from China in the early 1800's I think and really took off. Some varieties came from Japan. That reminds me, Has anyone turned any Kudzu Pens yet? How did that TURN out?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Hosspen

I've turned some wisteria vine and liked it. What I turned was a light color and some with cool dark streaks in it. The part w/out dark streaks was a bit blah though. This plant was introduced here from China in the early 1800's I think and really took off. Some varieties came from Japan. That reminds me, Has anyone turned any Kudzu Pens yet? How did that TURN out?

I tried a Kudzu pen. The damn sawdust grew and took over my entire shop!! :D

(For those in our northern states, ask a Southerner to explain this to you ;) )

Russianwolf

Originally posted by wdcav1952

I tried a Kudzu pen. The damn sawdust grew and took over my entire shop!! :D

(For those in our northern states, ask a Southerner to explain this to you ;) )
Being from the Carolinas originally, I could believe your claim.

For those that don't know, Kudzu can grow over a foot each and every day during the summer. That's a foot a day on EVERY branch. I've seen a house (abandoned) totally disappear over the course of the summer only to peak back out in Winter then disappear again in the spring.

Hosspen

"I tried a Kudzu pen. The damn sawdust grew and took over my entire shop!!"
That is Funny! I'll have to try one and wrap up the sawdust for my Mother-in-law to go along with that Crab-Apple pen I'm making for her. Sentimental gifts are so meaningful aren't they?:)

Top Bottom