Anyone ever seen a...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinPeters

Felt-Tip pen kit?

I would love to make a pen for my father, but in my 29 years of life, I have only ever seen him write with a felt-tip pen. You know, the cheap black plastic ones that have a white star pressed into the cap? (no, not a mont-blanc). I'm talking about the cheap, box of ten jobbies you can get at office depot.

Has anyone ever seen a felt-tip pen kit offered for sale? I would like to make him something a little more elegant to use at work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Now that you mention it I hadn't even thought about that kind of pen. Somehow felt tips and custom pens never got together in my head - kind of like highlighters (which I haven't seen either). Since most of the ink in a felt tip is held in a wick it would be interesting to see if the wick was encased in anything. I haven't had a felt tip apart in a long time. I'll have to look and see.

Levenger has pencil leads and high-lighter refills. They are 5.6mm so they should fit the woodworkers pencil. Don't know whether they would work for your purpose.
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/SEARCH/SEARCHRESULT.ASP

TheHeretic

I did try about a year ago to see about a higlighter type of pen. Even checked with Berea about it. to do a one would require a bit of purchase on my part.. as in about 1000 kits or so to make it worth it. Plus I would need the ability to do it, meaning getting the rights to do it from the Sharpie company.

Have looked further. I would love to have Sharpie type of pens as well. In my industry I use them a lot.

Dean
Columbus OH

Rudy Vey

Now, that everyone recommended highlighter or pencil refills, let me try to help you. Many years ago, before I came to the USA, I loved to write with felt tip pens, as a matter of fact I used a reasonable priced Montblanc pen and brought over from Germany a box of the refills. I just checked, still got the box (!!) and have seven refills left. They fit into a Baron instead of the rollerball refill!! Thats the good news, now after about 10 years of storage, they are all pretty much dried out. The Montblanc article number is 16310 and on the refill the number 808 is printed on. As far as I know, Montblanc does not produce their own refills and the ones I have here look very much like Schmidt refills.

I checked with the "InkFlow" and they have a felt tip (actually it is a fiber tip) from Schmidt and it can be found here:

http://www.theinkflow.com/schmidt_cat.htm

It is the second refill from the top, "Faser Mine" 5020M, Faser Mine means felt (or fiber) tip.

It should fit in a Baron or any other rollerball that used the Schmidt rollerball refills. I hope this info helps you!!

Scott

I think Rudy's hit it dead on! I just got through reading an article on fineliners, which are basically very fine felt tip, or fiber tip pens. One of the pens mentioned prominently is the Mont Blanc, and included the fact that the refill should fit where a rollerball refill does. It also mentioned that with a recent increase in popularity, that they are coming out with more colors! Here's a link that shows the Mont Blanc fineliner refills:

http://joon.com/display_refill.php?brandid=29

If anybody orders these in and tries them, I would love to hear how they work!

Scott.

wayneis

Cross makes a refill called the Porous-Point Refill which is a felt tip refill and these fit in any of the Jr. or Gent/Baron style kits. I have one here that I use once in a while and it works pretty good.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom