Anyone ever epoxy a finial on a churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigNick73

I just turned a churchill and tried to make a custom finial instead of the black dome thingy. Well I tried threading it using the brass piece, it didn't really work so to hold the clip down I put a little 5 minute epoxy on the finial hole and around the threads and clamped it down.

I'll know in the am if it held or not, but was wondering if anyone had done this and it it worked and held up long term against the tension of the clip pushing up on the finial.

This is my first closed end pen using one of Eugene's (amalgam-mutt) 9 color blanks, everything but this turned out good, so I'm pacing waiting for this crap to dry.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I've never done that. Did you strip the threads? Are the male threads on the finial gone? It may not hold on a smooth surface for long. But, if there are ridges at al, it should hold. Just my guess.:rolleyes: Worth everything you paid for it. :biggrin: Good luck!

plantman

I have glued custom and some regular finials on pens before with great success using thick/gap filling CA and accelerator. I have only had one come apart, and that was because of alterations I had made that increased the spring tension. Installing a shorter spring solved the problem. Make sure that you can replace your refill from the other end, and glue the finial on without any spring pressure on it. CA and accelerator will give you instant results, no having to wait overnight, and the thick CA will fill any gaps and settle in any threads to make a firm fit. Jim S

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have glued custom and some regular finials on pens before with great success using thick/gap filling CA and accelerator. I have only had one come apart, and that was because of alterations I had made that increased the spring tension. Installing a shorter spring solved the problem. Make sure that you can replace your refill from the other end, and glue the finial on without any spring pressure on it. CA and accelerator will give you instant results, no having to wait overnight, and the thick CA will fill any gaps and settle in any threads to make a firm fit. Jim S

Jim, I think Nick is referring to the tension from the CLIP, not the lower barrel where the spring is.

BigNick73

Jim, I think Nick is referring to the tension from the CLIP, not the lower barrel where the spring is.

I was, I posted some pics here http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/9-color-blank-churchill-137332/ so obviously it's holding, hope it stays that way, I'm pretty excited this morning.

I'm gonna have to find the thread size and get a bottoming tap before I do the next one. Trying to force thread with the insert just wont work.

Top Bottom