Anyone else have this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomS

I made my first Jr. Gent II about one month ago. Today, I noticed some circular rings forming about halfway up the black titanium barrel. Could the plastic threads on the cap be doing this? Any way to correct it? I took a picture, but the lines are too fine to see. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Can't answer your question----fully.

However, the black plastic ends .84" from the nib of the RB. If it's a fountain, let me know and I will measure if need be (I have a couple hundred of those kits, just outside my office). Does this correspond with the position of your marks?

TomS

No. not exactly. It looks like the threads stop, and then the rest of the plastic piece is not threaded. The spot where the threads stop and the unthreaded area meet is approx. where the scratches are on the barrel. This is a Rockler rollerball kit with acrylic tubes.

Last edited:

workinforwood

This is something that has come up several times. It seems to have been pretty much narrowed down to the centerband as being the culprit. Human hands don't exactly go together straight. Make two fists like you are gripping two items. Now you bring your two fists together as if you are going to smash your two thumbs together. If you are doing this as a natural fluid movement, each hand is going to arc together. The movement is not parrallel. Therefore, the side of the nib hits the side of the centerband and as you twist, that's a fine scratch ring. Only way to completely stop that from happening is to put the pen completely straight together every single time..good luck with that. I can't recall who..Curtis maybe, or perhaps George..someone had a partial solution. They used cualking inside the centerband, because there is a little bit of a lip in there. By running a small bead of caulk inside the rim of the centerband, you reduce the metal/metal contact and an added bonus is that the pen stays closed better. It is like putting a washer on a nib section, but better, because the "washer" is inside the coupler so that it can't be seen.

Top Bottom