Anyone else had issues with double ended seam rippers destroying the finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I had a past customer ask me to do 5 double ended seam rippers (chrome from PSI, bought from Packard)

Sure, easy money. Blanks are all done but on the first two I installed that stupid retaining spring and when I inserted the seam ripper ends the springs marred the heck out of the chrome finish. Both the ripper side and the "plug" side are completely scratched up and trashed now.

I would have chalked it up to a burr or something on one, but it happened on 2 full kits before I stopped assembling the other 3.

Anyone else had issues with these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PapaTim

Make sure your brass tube is clean before assembly. I use the brass brush (not the nylon) for a gun barrel cleaner to remove residue before assembly (just hold it in my fingers, no need for the rod). If the tube is clean, allowing the spring to be properly seated, you shouldn't get scratches. I've had no complaints in the 3 years I've been selling them at local quilt shows. A lot of repeat customers and several referrals but no complaints. BTW I do this on all my ripper or stiletto kits single, double and necklace.

The brass brushes can be bought individually at Wally World. I use 22cal for smaller tubes and 45cal or 410ga (they're the same size essentially) for others.

Last edited:

mecompco

I've had one do this. It was my fault as it took me a while to figure out how to get the spring in w/o crushing it. The one that I messed up, as you say, scratched up the ripper insert.

Carl Fisher

So assuming the brass tubes are clean and the "spring" is not crushed during insert, what is the correct orientation for the insert? Also how does the insert secure into the tube beyond just sliding it in until flush?

rholiday

Solid side first. It is easy to crush the spring insert when trying to get the second half in. Using the seam ripper insert itself to try to keep the spring from getting crushed.
Friction should keep the spring insert in. If it is not tight enough, some ca might be called for.
Bob

mmayo

A did some reading and came up with a suggestion from CSUSA.

"Helpful Tips: Using a chamfer tool or 120 grit sandpaper, chamfer the inside mouth of the brass tube to make inserting the seam ripper into the tube easier and to prevent scratching the plating."

I do this with each brass tube for my pens and will with my seam ripper kits.

Tom T

I have used a chamfering tool on the inside . It worked great solved the problem and everything slipped in and out smoother.

More4dan

Attachments

• Reamer.jpg
    Reamer.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 154

Dinah B

damaged parts

Have not had the issue you mentioned, but have had others...psi is very good about replacing parts, but since you did not buy from them, not sure if they would help you.

jcm71

Just made nine today, Carl, with no issues. Solid end first on the spring. Before turning I hand ream both ends of the tube with a size "L" bit. If the spring gets hung up on the ribbed side when inserting, carefully pull it out with some needle nose pliers and try again. If it goes in past the ribbed slots, but is still protruding a little bit you can carefully press it in.

More4dan

I've made 22 doubles and 30 singles this year w/o issue. I ream first, insert spring till it wants to buckle, insert the ripper end into spring to support it and press it home.

Danny

Top Bottom