Anybody want to help me pick a new kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadmos

So far I've turned about 40 slimlines, 5 cigars, and 20 perfume pens (too good of a deal to pass up).

I'd like to expand the product line a little bit now.

The slims and cigars are fun to turn, I kinda feel the slims come off as a bit cheap, no offense because I will turn more, I like the cigars alot esp how they unscrew and take the parker refill.

Whats a must have kit to move onto?

I like the look of the Polaris/atlas (are they the same?..are they parker?...do they unscrew?)

The Wallstreet II / Sierra (same thing?...parker?..unscrew? and is the body plastic or metal?)

Some of the Euro's look nice, woodcraft has a neat looing one with a roller cap..any good?...I hear Euro's are tougher to do?

Maybe something with a cap? What kind of fits what I've been saying?

Whats a good next step kit that might fit what I'm looking for?

any thoughts would be great
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brewmeister35

I would suggest the wallstreet II/Sierra. Yes they are the same thing but woodcraft renames it. They are parker and have pretty much the same mechanism as the cigar. Simple to make and very classy looking. Sounds like you are afraid to charge though so maybe a designer might be a next step. They sell pretty good and have been quite popular for me. The other thing you could do is try the baron (navigator at woodcraft). They would add a rollerball/fountain pen to your selection.

Kadmos

Not afraid to try something new, just so many options can't figure out what I might like next, hoping one day to try several of each. But looking for something now that comes off as classy but useable, I get the impression just from the mini show I did today that people tend to think of quality as a pen that unscrews.

For refilling, does the Sierra unscrew or pull apart?

Off to see what a Jr. Gent II looks like, CSU was great with my first order in dealing with some confusion

dlindquist

Longwoods from PSI are fun, you can fool around with different wood combos on the same pen, and they are inexpensive. I've never seen one here, so maybe they are considered beneath us. Barons and Sedonas from AZ can be nice, and you can get a basic upgrade for 7 or 8 bucks.

workinforwood

I'd go for Euro's to fit in with that collection. If you want a screw cap, I'd go with a baron. I love the gents/statesmans, but they are big pens. A sierra is about as simple and forgiving as it gets. It pulls apart for parker refill. The 10k euro's are better quality than the 24k and have a fancier band, sure you have to tennon it, but it's pretty simple to do. Euro is a good replacement to a slim. I have tried the Euro ones from woodcraft with the roller ball clip and don't care for it. It has a swoop in it where you almost need to concave the upper barrel or the middle of the clip is too tight. The ball scratches the finish as it puts alot of pressure on one tiny spot, and it doesn't slide into a pocket as nice as you think it would. Besides that, I'm pretty sure those are 24K gold at about $5 a pop, when you can get 10k gold cheaper...10k being better as it has more impurities in it which means it is less soft and so wears better.

Rifleman1776

Definitely the Jr. Gent. II from CS. Beautiful pen and will give the 'WOW!' factor with the right woods. A very saleable pen. Be sure to use quality platings only. Most customers will want the posting (screw top) cap.

Buzz

The Sierra is a good pen to have in your collection. Easy to make, easy to assemble and several options in the platings. The Sierra does unscrew to access the Parker style refill. The black parts on it that may look like plastic in a photo, are actually powder coated metal.

As suggested by others, the Jr Gent's, Baron and Sedona etc. are all very nice pens. If you want quality in your stock though, its the metal work that's important, stay with platings like Rhodium, Platinum, Black Titanium, Titanium Gold and Sterling Silver. Virtually any of the kits make for a quality pen in these metals.

Kadmos

That jr gent II is nice looking, and I like that a few pens use the same bushings.

What about the copper platings..too soft, tarnish? Seems like a neat look.

maybe I'll just hit woodcraft and try the Wallstreet II, will those bushings work for other sierras? Or a couple Euro's....something to calm the craving

Not hearing any votes on the Polaris/atlas/Caberra thing...is there an issue with this kit?

Brewmeister35

Don't like the atlas/polaris at all. I made 2 in the beginning and they still have not sold. One bounces around in my truck and I think I'm about to give the other to my dog for a chew stick [:D]. Earlier, I posted my suggestions but I'd also have to say the Jr. Gent is a very nice seller and as Rifleman said, most will want the postable cap. They are a little fatter than the Baron/Navigator. The Baron's however are available in a huge assortment of platings. They are from www.arizonasilhouette.com. Same place to get Sierra's [;)]. Sierra's are also available in a big assortment of platings.

Buzz

Not hearing any votes on the Polaris/atlas/Caberra thing...is there an
issue with this kit?
[/quote]

I started with the Polaris as I my single barrel pen but switched to the Sierra as I think it is a nicer looking pen, it certainly sells better (for me) than the Polaris ever did.

The Polaris itself is a perfectly good kit and I never had any problems with them.

Russianwolf

A word of warning about "unscrewing" your cigar and other ballpoint pens. That is probably not the best way to change the refill. If you aren't careful you can push the transmission up the tube and not be able to screw it back on.

Pulling your pen apart then unscrewing the transmission is likely the safeest.

The only ones that were really designed to "unscrew" are the rollerball and fountain pens.

cbonner

I pretty much went the opposite direction. After I did 10 or so Europeans and slimlines, I jumped to the Statesmans and the Jr. Gents. It was all about creating a flashy pen by buying the flashiest (and expensive) kits. Now I am back to playing with the slimline and European kits, just at a more involved level. Now its about playing with all-wood combinations, segmenting and combining wood and metal. Of course, I am not making these pens for sale, so my needs/ requirements are quite different from someone who is. For me it is about the challenge of making the perfect pen (have not accomplished this yet).

fuzzydog

My progression was much like yours, after slimeline I went to Polar and Atlas (50% of transmission failed on the Atlas) but when I did Barons I fell in love with them.
I have done high end pens but would rather turn pens that sell more quickly.
David

follow3

I have to agree with everyone on the Polaris? Atlas. I have made several and have not sold one yet.

I progressed from Slims to Euros. The Euros are still one of my favorites to make and a verry good seller.

My biggest seller is the American Classic with the initial finial from Woodcrafts. I cant seem to keep enough of them on hand. I made 5 of them tonight for the same customer.

Have fun!!!

ldb2000

I vote for the Baron , good price , lots of platings , sell well , smaller tube size means drilling is easier . Jr gents/statesman are very nice kits too but more costly and use an oversize blank for your first few unless you have a very good drill vise

follow3

Originally posted by Kadmos
<br />Initial finial?

which one is that?

Hey,

Check this link it pretty well sums it up.

Since posting that note, I have taken orders for 7 more.

Like I said, I cant keep enough.

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/price/kits/mix_3.cfm#2

redfishsc

Before you dump a lot of cash into a new line of pens, (like I have done and now sit on a lot of unsold pens), take a good, hard look at your market.

I cannot sell a Polaris/Atlas for anything, and for that matter I don't sell too many Sierras, although I personally love the Sierra
But I can sell closed-end Barons/Jr Gent FP's all the time, which is fine because I love making them the most. I have probably sold 15-20 of them in the past 5 months, and ---my only means of selling them--- is word of mouth and by carrying around about 40 pens, of a good general mix, to show folks if I am going to be around potential customers. I have no web site and no store display (yet).

I attend and work at a Seminary, and lots of folks value a good, elegant, sturdy fountain pen. Especially one that follows the traditional look of fountain pens--- not huge, and with a slightly tapered end. What sells my pens is the materials: beautiful woods, wild acrylics, and my personal favorite, Trustones.

On the other hand, my actual biggest seller is the ti-gold cigar, but mostly because I have a "bulk buyer" and they buy the same pen every time (which might get old when making them, but the check never bounces and I have pens that I have made being sent all over the country as gifts).

Aside from the bulk buyer, I sell an equal amount, roughly, of cigars and Baron/Jr Gents. About half-n-half wood and resin.

Kadmos

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I picked up a couple sierra's on sale at woodcraft, and some euros from rockler also on sale right now. Then placed an order with Bear tooth woods for a few other euros, and about a dozen cigars (mostly chrome, but going to try some other finishes, some satin, a copper I think), and I think another Sierra... anyway that was sunday, and I know that will at least get me the rest of what I wanted for the holidays.

and of course now I have a nice list of other pens to try, i'm not sure if I should be thanking you all or cursing you all for feeding whats starting to look like an addiction ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom