Anybody Turned Gossamer Red

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

Here's the link:(http://www.exoticblanks.com/index.p...ategory_id=23&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60

As I was browsing www.eroticblanks.com today, I came across this gorgous blank, and even though it scared me silly I ordered one. I've got a couple of ideas for this blank, but both require me to be able to see through the blank after the pen is assembled. So here are my 2 questions. First, has anybody turned one of these. If so any pointers for me.

Second how should I polish the inside of the blank after I've drilled it. I know I've seen some clear pens or pens with windows in them. How did you folks remove tooling marks from inside the blanks. I thought of maybe making some type of sanding dowel that i could insert after I drilled. or maybe using a small flame like you do on the edge of plexiglass after you cut it.

I probably should have ordered 2, cause I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw this one up. At least I know where to get more :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Ben,
When I drill, I coat the bit liberally with Pam-butter flavored. The same spray on that everyone has been using when using tap and dies. I just finished up a Lucite amber ripple FP which had more amber than ripple, so it is extremely transparent, and had no problems. No drill bit marks only the tapping threads and all the pen parts inside show up.

OKLAHOMAN

I'm on a low fat diet can I use non butter flavored?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Woodlvr

I have a Gossamer Red from Dawn and Ed and have not had the nerve to get started on it. I cannot decide what color to paint the insides so that the black shows. I was kind of thinking about about silver but not sure. Thanks for the tip about "Pam".

Pen Maker

I cannot decide what color to paint the insides so that the black shows

I've been wondering this same question myself, I've been thinking 'Ladies Fingernail Polish' in Bright Red applied right to the inside of the blank swirled with a long slender modeling paint brush.

But I'm carefully taking my time reading some posts about working acrylics again, after trying to turn one of the inexpensive acrylester blanks to learn on. Dididididididididididididididididid anyone else try one of these? It's like working with a pneumatic jack hammer.

I got it turned down alright after about an hour or so. Can't say I got anything from the acrylester material except some good old fashioned training with the skew! Now if my eyeteeth seat back properly I'll be in good shape. (and I bought five of these abalone blanks, four more to go.)

They will keep though, I can't let that Davinci27 guy emerge VICTORIUS!

Rarest wood

funny I was thinking about this today I have about 10 of 20 inches of the stuff I thought a mirror tube would be a possibility or paint a tube red and add some black lines to emulate the blank. its very goth stuff some one will just love it the trick is is to make it classy looking I think

Top Bottom