anybody turned a acylic/celluloid pen with no tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

driften

I was just thinking again (maybe you noticed the burning smell [:p]) and was wondering if we needed to use a brass tube on some pens. If we are turning Acrylic or Celluoid as the body and the pen does not need the cap to provide friction (like a slimline) to work the transmission do we need tubes in them? Why not just drill the hole to the size of the id of the tube. I would think after turning you would expand the holes slightly and then glue in the fittings. I would think this would work on all the fountain pens and roller ball pens and some twist pens. The center band would have to be changed out on the double twist pens but I would think it would otherwise work out there. I would think it would work on Atlas or Cigar pens. Baron's/Gents should work.

Has anybody tried it? I know Fangar and maybe others have made an aluminum cigar with no tubes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I do it allot Jeff, the down side is if you drop them they shatter. But most resin pens will chip or break if you drop them on a hard surface. they look nicer as well that way. I am just finishing several I will post in the next few days. Most all my closed end pens are tubeless.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Let me start by saying, "I am not trying to be antagonistic, I have considered this idea and would appreciate further input"

What is the advantage of no tube? On acrylic you can see through, you'll see the refill (not beautiful). If you make a clear pen, there might be some novelty advantage to that, but doesn't BIC already offer one for a couple bucks?

Meanwhile, on the downside-a thin-walled pen could easily crack when you press fit the nib, etc. And, as "penworks" mentions, the pen could well shatter if dropped.

Brass tubes can be painted to improve the look of a pearl resin and they provide support for wood that has been turned to thin diameter. While I realize you will gain a couple thousandths in removing the brass, will the same amount of wood be equally durable?

What are the benefits? (Inquiring minds want to know!!!)

PenWorks

Ed. good point. I think it comes down to "Press fit" vs "Hand fit".
Most fine pen manufacturers use a tubeless design and I think we want to imitate that.
But I really think they cast them that way.
From a durability standpoint, as I said, they are very fragile and would shatter when dropped. I have proved that several times not only with my own creations, but with another one that was pricey. However, when I sent my Julius Caesar fountain pen back to Delta in pieces, they repaired it "no charge"

Also, if your weight conscious, scrapping the tubes does make a noticeable difference, but we are splitting grams here. Just a couple of thoughts....
[8D]

JimGo

Anthony, how are the other pens assembled? Are they hand fit, or press fit? I can't afford one, so I have to ask! [:)] I also don't see many wooden pens in the high-end stuff; is that because they tend to go with a tubeless design, and otherwise the wood would be too small?

Other questions that occurred to me, that maybe someone here will know:
1) Do all the high-end manufacturers make all their own nibs and other components, too?
2) Are the components they use all solid metal (i.e. gold, silver, platinum, etc.), or are they plated?
3) Are the components on acrylic and other non-metallic pens attached via press fit, threading, glue, or some other method I haven't thought of? (kind of a re-hash of my question above, but not quite the same)

Any feedback is appreciated!

driften

The no tube idea is related to losing a tiny bit of weight but also like Anthony says its somewhat to imitate the high priced pen companies. When did you see a Mont Blanc with a tube inside the "precious resin"? I wonder if they have stuff added to their resin and celluloid to make it less breakable? It looks like delta does not. I would also think with the tube it will still crack if it strikes something hard. I think people will be just as unhappy with a pen with a big crack in it as a pen in pieces. In both cases the repair will require a new blank.

The fact is a brass tube works and helps with wood pens in dealing with wood movement. I love turning wood pens. Its funny everytime I switch from an acrylic pen to a wood one I think "why do I turn anything other then wood". I just love how fast and easy some wood turns. The main thing I am trying to do is think outside the box and push my craft. I think I have been looking at too many high end fountain pens in Stylus and on the web [;)]

PenWorks

Jim, the pens I posted thread into the cap.
Some pen companies do wood. You can buy an Omas Snakewood FP for about 800 bucks.
I think the majority stay away from them becuase it is easier to manufacture resin & metal pens to their tolerences with their machinery.
All of my closed end wood pens are tubeless as well, or I will use about 3/8 of the tube to press fit in the nib.
I would guess one German company makes the gold nibs for about 70% of the fine pen companies, ,ost do not make their nibs.
The metals very depending on the price of the pen, from plate to gold.
Generally, the less expensive ones are pressed or glued, when you get over the 100.00 price tag, ussually threaded.

Now you have enough knowledge to go make yourself a 1,500.00 gold fountain pen with threaded parts [:D]

PenWorks

Originally posted by driften
<br /> I think I have been looking at too many high end fountain pens in Stylus and on the web [;)]

Jeff, we rehash this all the time. Champaigne taist, with beer pockets, trying to make high end pens with a skew & wood lathe. [:D]

driften

I have just been a member here a couple of months and have missed out on some of these types of threads. I know I also fall to the "Champaigne taist, with beer pockets". I own one Mont Blanc that was my favorite pen until I started making them. I actually had found that one! I can't afford to buy $100+ pens. I do feel much of what we do approches art or could. I sure am not btboone with his wonderfull titanium pens, but I want to do what I can to become a master penmaker. To me its both practice and trying new things.

swm6500

Well Jeff, it looks to me like it is try whatever you want to try as tnere is not just a right way and a wrong way. There are many ways they seem to be done.

driften

You are right Sam. Just wanted to see if others had issues in the process before I reinvent the wheel. I like learning from others mistakes as well as my own!

PenWorks

Originally posted by driften
<br /> I do feel much of what we do approches art or could. I sure am not btboone with his wonderfull titanium pens, but I want to do what I can to become a master penmaker. To me its both practice and trying new things.

At least your mind is in the right place. [:p]
Personally, I think pens should be viewed as art.
Not all, but most. [;)]

PenWorks

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Anthony, weren't you the one who said that my red, white, and blue pen was ugly? C'mon, that was high art! [:D]

Yes, and it is still ugly [}:)] [:D] [}:)] But art can be very subjective [:p] Beauty is allways in the eye of the holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom