Anybody made the new PSI pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Penn State has a new pen. They call it the "Vesper". While it bears a strong semblance to the CSUSA Manhattan, it has a couple big differences: first - 10mm tubes, and second - it has a built in stylus tip that the Parker-style refill advances through. Really a different design that I'd not seen before.

They're out of stock (of course) but I'm real curious to hear from anyone who's made one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I looked at those, they have a style without the stylus also. But I looked under accessories and didn't see any refills for the stylus part.
Curt

WriteON

Penn State has a new pen. They call it the "Vesper". While it bears a strong semblance to the CSUSA Manhattan, it has a couple big differences: first - 10mm tubes, and second - it has a built in stylus tip that the Parker-style refill advances through. Really a different design that I'd not seen before.

They're out of stock (of course) but I'm real curious to hear from anyone who's made one.

Out of stock general means they are new and on their way. Does look interesting.

Hey - I posted this thread a month ago. Got a couple responses (which are above) but nobody seemed to have made the pen at the time.

Well, a month has passed. I was on the "wait list" and ordered when I got the notification PSI had them. I got 5 and made them this weekend. Pics will follow, probably tomorrow, but I'm writing to post a semi-review.

The pen is pretty good, but flawed IMHO. It is VERY similar to the CSUSA Manhattan. The click mechanism appears the same as the Manhattan as does the clip and the method it is attached to the body. Both use a Parker refill and the bushings are nearly identical (Manhattan's 0.471" vs Vesper's 0.474"). The Manhattan specs a 13/32" drill, the Vesper calls for a 10mm which is a slight difference.

The rest of the story is basic - assembly is straight forward and goes well. The instructions are ok.

The issue is with the uniqueness of the pen. Its design is a click ballpoint where the refill advances through the center of a stylus. When retracted, the stylus is available. When advanced, the pen is a standard (and comfortable) ballpoint. But on the 5 that I made, the action of the stylus sucks. I tried it on my iPhone. No good. Same for my iPad. Tried my wife's iPhone and tablet with the same results. Same as well for my brother-in-law's non-Apple phone. I took off the screen protector on my iPhone and the action improved a little but was still poor.

Needless to say I am disappointed. Going to CALL Penn State tomorrow and see if they have a resolution. Will post their reply tomorrow (with pics).

qquake

I was looking at these, and was intrigued by the stylus tip. But they were out of stock before I could order any. Strange that the stylus doesn't work well. I have an Android phone, so I'll probably order a couple when they're available. They're certainly inexpensive. I'll be following your posts with interest.

jttheclockman

Somebody at PSI must have gotten a lot of money to become their chief pen kit designer. But they all are hideous in my opinion. All are gimmick kits. These are for those people that have no imagination at all. Stick a blank on the kit and call it a nautical pen or a rifle pen or an irish pen and so forth. Do they sell??? Probably for the first few months because of the newness. Then they have to invent something else to take the place for sales. All the same finishes too. These are just my opinions.

magpens

Ted iin Michigan ~

What is it about the stylus that doesn't work so well on your iPad, etc. ?

Berea came out with a stylus tip a year or so ago ... it's called the Turbin as you know

I am wondering how it functions as a stylus in comparison to the Vesper

If you have compared, I'd appreciate hearing your comments, please.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

They were a new introduction where PSI said availability would be mid-September...If they're showing out of stock it could mean they have not really made the market yet. You'd almost have to call PSI to see if they've really arrived.

SO I called Penn State today. The CS rep knew they were having an issue with the pen but didn't know what it was and the Tech person (Tony) leaves early so I have to call tomorrow between 8:30 and 4:30.

Sooooo - that, plus the fact my light tent died means no pics today, either. I'm a baaaad boy. Sorry - tune in Tuesday.

Another thing (or 2) - Woodcraft is offering the "Turbin" pen. It is quite a bit different than the PSI Vesper but the basics are the same - click pen, the refill advances through the middle of a stylus. Built one today and guess what - SAME ISSUE! Wondering if the stylus having a hole in the middle messes with the functionality of the stylus tip. Any techies out there have an opinion on this? Other, more standard stylus's work ok.

Second thing is that I can actually get both stylus's to work, but I have to press hard on hte screen. Hmmmmm

Last edited:
One last hting - this is NOT a Penn State bashing thread. Seems like some folk who posted here had too much coffee this morning. While I'm not a fan of pens with skulls or anchors or jewels on them either, the Vesper (and the Turbin) are NOTHING like that.

magpens - hope the post above answered your Q.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
SO I called Penn State today. The CS rep knew they were having an issue with the pen but didn't know what it was and the Tech person (Tony) leaves early so I have to call tomorrow between 8:30 and 4:30.

Sooooo - that, plus the fact my light tent died means no pics today, either. I'm a baaaad boy. Sorry - tune in Tuesday.

Another thing (or 2) - Woodcraft is offering the "Turbin" pen. It is quite a bit different than the PSI Vesper but the basics are the same - click pen, the refill advances through the middle of a stylus. Built one today and guess what - SAME ISSUE! Wondering if the stylus having a hole in the middle messes with the functionality of the stylus tip. Any techies out there have an opinion on this? Other, more standard stylus's work ok.

Second thing is that I can actually get both stylus's to work, but I have to press hard on hte screen. Hmmmmm
the hole in the stylus gives less surface area to contact the screen ...I suspect it's a desigh limitation that will make the pens next to usless for the reasons you've listed. But, that is simply an opinion. I do notice that normal stylus pens all have a fairly substantial surface area contact with the screen.

its_virgil

I wasn't bashing PSI. I make several of their pens but I just don't like most of the new ones they have introduced over the past year or longer. Oh, when I was a new penturner I was making everything that came along. I still have most of those new pens. As I've gotten older and wiser I stick with the pens that sell for me and the ones I like. I have long gotten past buying every new pen that comes down the pike...most or which I stll will say are gimmick pens and I guess the gimmicks are working because the pens seem be sold our at PSI often. I do hope those who are making them are selling them also. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

One last hting - this is NOT a Penn State bashing thread. Seems like some folk who posted here had too much coffee this morning. While I'm not a fan of pens with skulls or anchors or jewels on them either, the Vesper (and the Turbin) are NOTHING like that.

TimS124

I generally dislike having the ink project through the stylus tip. That's begging for trouble when a non-tech-saavy customer tries to use one on somebody else's phone/tablet to sign a Square charge and end up making a mess on somebody's screen. For the same reason, I don't like the combo pen/stylus kits that put a non-obivous (to non-tech people) tip on top of the pen (which is not a normal thing to consider using to sign anything with).

That said, I'd still like to see photos of the finished kit. Just because I don't like the design doesn't mean customer won't still want one... :)

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I will second what Don said because I too have an opinion. The only pen kit I will make and ever will make from PSI is the majestic line. I may have a couple of the kits with the jewels around them that I never made. Had ideas for them but never followed through.

They have completely changed their way of thinking over the years and these gimmick pens are just that gimmicks. No style to them at all. Let see them make some sort of classy pen with no frills. No add-ons that hang off the clips that break when used or cut your pocket when you do try to put them in a pocket.

Glad you found a kit you like from them. Now lets see some with some nice looking segmented blanks or casted blanks that show off the kits. :) I have to get another cup of coffeee after that much typing. :biggrin::coffee:

I wasn't bashing PSI. I make several of their pens but I just don't like most of the new ones they have introduced over the past year or longer. Oh, when I was a new penturner I was making everything that came along. I still have most of those new pens. As I've gotten older and wiser I stick with the pens that sell for me and the ones I like. I have long gotten past buying every new pen that comes down the pike...most or which I stll will say are gimmick pens and I guess the gimmicks are working because the pens seem be sold our at PSI often. I do hope those who are making them are selling them also. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I found with a little reading that you might have this....Stylus pens often do not work well with screens designed to be worked with fingers -- unless you have a capacitive stylus (which you do not have on those pens) From what I read Some of them will work if you press hard on the stylus pen and some won't work at all. There are apparently some devices that they'll work OK with but you almost have to test each one to find out which ones they are.

Last edited:
Called PSI this morning. Evidently they are aware of the issue and they (Tony, their tech support guy) say there is no fix. He says that the issue is with Apple products where they set the stylus "sensitivity" and It cannot be changed like it can on Android devices.

That may be true, but I'm thinking he's just repeating what he heard from a supplier. I have different stylus's and the others (except the Turbin mentioned above) work fine on my Apple devices.

Bottom line is what I said in my first post. Nice concept but doesn't work. My recommendation: don't buy

Top Bottom