Anybody know drill sizes for these kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I have two pen kits that I need to figure out what drill bit sizes to use. One is the PSI pen kit. Their instructions only give a drill bit of theirs to use, but it doesn't say the actual size, and now the pen kist aren't even showing up on their site. Did they stop making them?

The second kit I have just has "gold top euro?" written on the plastic bag. Yes, it's written in my writing, so at some point I must have known what I had in my hand, or at least maybe I thought I knew, thus explaining the question makr I had included. It's has two different length tubes in it, a rounded/domed shaped top, a centerband that has an indented part in the middle that is like a black enamel. And it's really like a brushed copper color, not "gold". Can anybody read through my computer and read my mind and know what pen kit this is, and then what drill bit size it uses? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Angela, which PSI pen kit?

I'm guessing that the Euro is a 7mm. Compare the tubes to a SL tube for size (not length). Oh, if is uses a Cross refill it is probably 7mm. Only the upper tube of the Olympia uses a bigger bit in the Cross style pens IIRC.

clewless

If the tube diameter sizes are the same, I'd agree with Bill that they're both 7mm. As to drills, the differences between
7mm (.2756),"J" (.2770) and 9/32(.2812)is only .0056 from
7mm to 9/32. Depending on the accuracy of your drill press you can decide which works best for you. I've stuck with the 7mm.

I think the different drill recommendations are their attempts at product differentiation (and $ extraction)...gotta save for the Captain.

Joe in MD

angboy

Realized I forgot some critical info about the PSI pen kit (thanks Billy!) I was needing to figure out the drill size for. It's the CEO pen kit. It's definitely not a 7mm- it's a pretty big tube. Anyone know what size drill bit the CEO takes?

Thumbs

I agree it's not showing on their web site right now, but it's the same as the "Gemini" and "Executive" with a 3/8" bit required.

Thumbs

Angela, It depends on which PSI catalog you look at for the CEO kit. It seems to have changed from time to time. It was listed as a .368", "U", bit and then seemed to be listed as 3/8" and now again as a .368" bit. PSI's instruction list says the CEO kit with 3/8" tube and the instruction itself says use the .368" bit but doesn't mention the tube size.

They, of course, sell a special .368" bit in their catalog. I used a 3/8 inch bit and it works fine but I use thick CA for tube glue ups, too. That's only seven thousandths of an inch difference anyway.......[B)][:)]

angboy

Thanks Bob. I actually don't have catalogs from PSI- I use the website and when I had checked the website, they must have been out of stock b/c I got one of those blank pages where only the name of the kit shows up and no info. I just checked now and it is apparently back in stock and the web right now is saying 3/8". I use GG when I glue my tubes, so I gues that would be comparable to your using the thick CA. I have actually finished turning this particular pen now and everything seemed to work fine!

I didn't know about PSI having that special drill bit. I can see why they'd list the CEO as being that .368" size! I appreciate everyone's help.

ccarse

Whenever I don't know what size to drill I just get out a scrap piece of wood and start drilling till I find the size that the tube slides easily into.

sptfr43

if you have a drill index (holder) just fit the tube into the hole the drill is in until you find the one that fits.I find it easier than trying to remember things[:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom