Anybody know about good quality fountain pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1JaredSchmidt

My dad has a friend that wants a good quality fountain pen that he wants me to turn. It's got to be able to last a long time,write good,and look good. What would be the best kind? He don't want to spend too much. Maybe around $200 for the whole pen.[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The first question for him is does he like large pens or medium pens. If he like large pens, consider an El Grande or Churchill or maybe even a Gentleman. All three of those can use one of Lou's SF or 18K gold nibs. Just be sure to get the kit with a good plating like gold ti or platinum or rhodium. Depending on how you price your work, you can sell any of those with a SF nib for less than $200 and maybe even with an 18K nib.

If he likes a medium size pen, go with the Jr. Gent, Jr.Retro or Jr. Statesman. And still get a nib from Lou.

Rifleman1776

gerryr is right on target. Do get the best plating possible. Find out if this is a carry pen or for staying on his desk. The full sized Gentleman and up are, in my experience, too large for comfortable pocket use. The Jr. Gent. is perfect. Find a beautiful wood and do your best turning job possible. Don't be shy about charging him enough for your work. Price yourself too low and he won't respect you as a craftsman or businessman.

gwilki

I'd go with an Emperor or Jr Emperor. I turn quite a few El Grande FP, but they are not in the same class as the Emperor series. You can look at the Lotus, too.

Top Bottom