Any tips? Flat Top American Transmission.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_M

I've built a few Flat Top American ballpoints from Berea and the transmissions feel very stiff to me. I also bought a Classic Twist from PSI, which is basically the same kit, and it also is very stiff to operate the transmission.

Is this normal for this kit? Is there anyway to loosen this think up to make it feel more smooth and require less effort? I just feels very tight to me. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Perfect Fit kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Dave, I have made a couple of hundred of that style pen. One thing I have learned is that if the lower barrel is a bit proud of the hardware, the center ring on the upper will rub just enough to be annoying. The other thing I do is when I assemble, after putting the center band on, I test slide the upper barrell over the transmission to see if it slides well, and how it sits against the lower.(Sometimes the center band will squeeze the tube under size a bit.) Then push in the brass piece and push it together if all is well. I have also learned on the chrome kits to check to make sure the refil tip slides through the nib, if not I have a drill bet the right size to clean it out. HTH

Dave_M

"I see!" said the blind man. I took one a part and I see the problem. The fit inside the brass tube is critical and any slight variation from excess glue or burrs inside the tube, no matter how insignificant it might seem, will cause the transmission to bind. If you have a tight fit when pressing the center band on, I would image that too could cause the brass tube to squeeze in on the transmission. I wonder if that's why the PSI kit doesn't use a press on center band. Not much margin to play with in there.

I took one a part and just slightly filled down the inside of the tube and it feels much better. I still like the Perfect Fit transmission better.

airrat

When I make Flattops I always take down the brass tube a little, enough to easily slide the CB over it. Basically it will have to be glued on now. If you have to press it on I find it will squeeze the brass and put pressure on the transmission making it so it will bind or feel stiff.

As well as what Paul said on the lower barrel make sure if you give it any shape you dont oversize it at the center band. With the chrome I also check all the nibs. I keep a refill in my tray that I know is oversized. If it does not fit I take a mini round file and fix it.

I talked to Berea about the CB causing that issue. He said it has happened to him on certain platings. He was the one that reinforced my decision to shave some of the brass off and just glue the CB on.

ONE more thing to look at, when you part off the upper barrel. Make sure you are at the right length. Too little parted off can cause a feeling like that too. I had that happen on a pen. To fix that I loosened the Black final a tiny bit, put in back in the press and pushed the clip bushing in some. The amount I push in is very little.

I hope this helps you.

Dave_M

Thanks Paul,
That's what I thought. Funny how I think about these issues and can't figure it out. I search the forum and don't use the right search terms to find the answer. As soon as I post the question, I get an idea and go play with it in the garage one more time before I figure it out. It's always after I ask the question before the light bulb comes on.

The knowledge you guys share from your experience is awesome. It's always very much appreciated.

Thank you.

jdmyers4

I've run into the same problem. However, I found the following solution resolves the problem every time.

- pen has been assembled, but the twist mechanism is stiff, or even non-functional.

- take upper barrel to your drill press (with finial and clip removed).

- I use a transfer punch size on my drill press that will fit through the barrel.

- place the barrel with the center band end down on top of your pen vise. What you want to do is press the transmission and clip bushing through the barrel. Make sure that the transmission and clip bushing can pass through the opening in the vise freely. Be VERY, VERY careful that the edge of the transmission doesn't catch on top of the vise as it is being pressed through, or else you'll ruin it.

- After pressing the transmission/clip bushing through the barrel, just place it back in the barrel and you'll find that it will work perfectly now - if everthing else is right.

- a safer procedure is probably just press the clip bushing through the upper barrel after you press the central band on.

- NOTE: I don't try to hold the barrel in the vise itself for fear of damaging the barrel. Place the central band end on top of the vise with space for the transmission/bushing to go through.

- One other thing that can cause a stiff twist is if the lower barrel is a little bit too wide.

The FT American can be a fussy kit to use, but I really like it because there is no cap to bother with.

Rudy Vey

Make sure there is no glue residue inside the upper barrel. I make sure that there is nothing in the following way :
* I run a fitting drill bit through the inside to make sure there is nothing inside left (I believe the "L" bit is the right one.
* make sure the transmission "falls" freely through that tube as well
Then what the others said!

PS: the barrels must be square, if they are a bit off, the lower will bind.

Dave_M

Originally posted by jdmyers4
<br />I've run into the same problem. However, I found the following solution resolves the problem every time....

Thanks for the tip John. That worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom