Any suggestions on what his wood may be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chugbug

Hello all,

I purchased a variety box of exotic wood from someone a few years ago. I dug into the box the other day looking for something for a pen, and after cutting this bland looking block of wood, I was plesantly supprised at what I found!

The wood is rosey red with a hint of yellow or pink between the grains. I thought maybe it was bloodwood, but reading the specs on bloodwood states it very dense. Mine is soft and light-weight.

A finished pen (finished with a CA finish) got very dark red (like bloodwood) on the end-grain. The long-grain pen was a little lighter. Attached are a few photos of some blanks and pens. I've cut the wod with different grain directions. The Tycoon is end-grain, the Olympian is long-grain.

The wood makes a great looking pen. I've had people ask what the wood is, and had to tell them I didn't know. I'd like to be able to tell them with some amount of certainty what it might be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...John

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chugbug

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Pretty sure it's not nost of those suggested:

Bloodwood - as I originally stated, that's what I thought it was, but it's not nearly dense enough.

Redheart - As with bloodwood, don't think it's dense enought or the color consistent enough - not dark enough?

Red Cedar - Too red, and doesn't smell.

Bubinga - no - I have some of that and it's not similar.

Coral Wood? Never saw any of that, but after looking it up, I think this is what it probably is:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ix...AEwAg#v=onepage&q="Coral Wood" sample&f=false

See my additional pics of other "Red" woods, all are much heavier/denser than my piece. You know how you can bang the blanks together and get a nice hard "knock" on really dense wood (like Pink Ivory or Redheart or Bubinga). On my wood, the knock is much softer/duller.

Thanks all for the suggestions...John

Last edited:

phillywood

Red heart this may help.
wood_redheart.jpg

Top Bottom