Any problems with WOODCRAFT products??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

L1Truckie

Hello all! Im am brand new to turning and have found a Woodcraft store near (1 1/2 hour drive) where I live. I like the idea of going and buying my supplies and stuff I need there versus ordering out of a catalog (Penn State, Hut, Lee Valley, etc) Because I can actually have "hands on" items im looking at. Plus Id be saving on shipping, although I do have the drive.

Question being is what are ya'lls thoughts and opinions about Woodcraft products/policies/people versus other companies? Any help would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipecrafter

Woodcraft generally has very high quality stuff. I've bought tools, drill bits, lathe chisels, finishing supplies, and a whole host of other stuff there. They typically carry the big name stuff, but they also have a line of their own called Wood River (nee Pinnacle) that is actually very nice. I have a big collection of Pinnacle lathe chisels that are of excellent quality. Most of the store is full of name brands like 3M, Fein, Dewalt, Porter Cable, and the like - so you're liable to find what you need.

The wood I get from there is very good. It helps being able to poke through stuff and look at it all - that way I can avoid any obvious bad pieces. Overall, I'd say you can't go wrong there.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The 'hands-on' makes a difference, but Woodcraft can be on the pricey side.
Depending on what it is, I think the hands=on is worth the markup.

Closest ones to me are 110 and 125 miles away, so I have to plan my trip
out in advance. $xx for Woodcraft, $xx for Michaels (next door) or $xx for
Harbor Freight (next to the other Woodcraft..)

I really wish they would keep a cross reference on pens and parts, though.
I'd probably buy more if I knew what was compatible while I'm there. I'm
always grabbing bags of spare tubes and looking for a chart to see if it is
the right size for my bushings or not.. and then I end up putting a lot of
things back because I'm not sure, don't want to get stuck with them and
I'm not making another 200+ mile round trip to return them..

Service is good, returns are no problem. In fact, I had a problem with a
Nova G3 chuck wobbling and I brought it in to see if they could tell what
was wrong .. they just replaced it with a new one, no questions asked.
Didn't even want a receipt.. didn't even ask if I bought it there. (I had)
They put it on their own lathe, saw the wobble, removed my jaws and put
them on a brand new chuck. That's good service!

its_virgil

The kits Woodcraft sells are Berea Kits and the same kits with more plating choices can be purchased cheaper from Earnie at http://www.Beartoothwoods.com or Bill at http://www.arizonasilhouette.com Better penblanks are available from them also plus a better selection. Actually, most anything that WC sells can be purchased cheaper online from several of our suppliers. Shipping will often be cheaper than gas for driving, especially if there is no woodcraft close. , But, you're not spending my money, so...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Most Woodcraft products are of good quality and I have yet to be in a woodcraft store where the staff are not knowledgeable and more than willing to help with a problem. They always stand behind their products. Yes, some of their stuff is a little more expensive than elsewhere, and often the plating selection is better elsewhere on kits, but most open their doors to woodturning clubs for meetings and demos. Its where many of us, including me, learned how to turn our first pen. I feel fortunate to have a store within walking distance and support them as often as I can.

L1Truckie

Hey, guys, thanks for all the quick responses and feedback! Its greatly appreciated! Just being new to all of this I guess Id feel better actually going in the store to pick out all my "first" things. Then once I got comfortable knowing what I liked and wanted It would be easier to order online. Its good to know its a good place.

On a sidenote, Harbor Freight is close, I know they sell some lower end tool stuff but do they sell kits and wood as well???

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
On a sidenote, Harbor Freight is close, I know they sell some lower end tool stuff but do they sell kits and wood as well???

No, but for 'disposable tools' they're a pretty good stop. If it doesn't
have any moving parts, I'll pick it up there. Good prices for things like
pressure pots, flap wheels, calipers, spare wheels for the compressor ..
you know.. that stuff.

marcruby

Let me add my recommendation. I've had a strong relationship with my local Woodcraft for some time. While I rarely buy kits or blanks from them they've gone out of their way to satisfy my insatiable need for bowl and vessel turning stock. Yes, they can be a little pricey, but they make up for that with a lot of personal touches including taking the time to listen to my gripes and patiently telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Marc

Chuck Key

I have had my eye on a Jet mini tool rest at Woodcraft for quite some time. Wanted to get one and cut it down to about 3 or four inches long.

This week I received a $10.00 gift certificate form the local Woodcraft in the mail. So off I went to get my tool post. The tool post was marked $14.99 but when I got to the register it rang up as $9.99 on sale so the gift certificiate could not be used. I asked the cashier if he could ring it up as a $10.00 item. I ended up paying .50 tax and walked away with the rest.

Daniel

I have a woodcraft right here in town, but the other side of town. You just can't make some people happy. Although I buy most stuff on line it is nice to have the store near buy for all the pieces I tend to forget when I order. I am looking at buying a new lathe and the one I want they have. So I may make up for all my online purchases in one shot.

GouletPens

I'm fortunate enough to have a WC just in town...I started out there and must have bought $15,000 of stuff from there. I bought my lathes and tools and all kinds of stuff. I used to get my kits from them exclusively, but as my customers wanted more variety, I had to shop elsewhere. I still buy a lot of blanks from there and almost all my tools and finishes, but the kits I get online, as well as special stabilized woods and whatnot. The more you do, the more you'll learn what everything is, and you'll develop relationships with online dealers and feel more comfortable buying from them. But WC is a GREAT place to start. Ask them anything.

jtrusselle

Levi - I was at Woodcraft today in the Live Free or Die state of NH. Received great advice on buying a skew. I had one picked out and changed it based on the advice. Good folk whom I consider the Masters in my area. The best to you... Jim from Maine

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Yeah, the Portsmouth crew is good. They're the ones who exchanged my
chuck. Then again, it's $400 - $600 about every time I go in there.. :eek:

JimB

I did all my initial purchases at WC until and gained a little knowledge. Then I branched out to Rockler and the online places. I still shop at WC as they are great people and sometimes that hands-on thing is what i want,

hughbie

hey levi,
is the closest WC in st. louis? i know we don't have one of those around here in springfield...all we have is Grizzly, Harbor freight, we also have two stores that selll kits and wood.
although the kits seem to be all HUT kits....it's still handy.
message me and i'll fill ya in on the local stuff, when you get a chance.....

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I concur with Marc. He is close to the Woodcraft north of Detroit, I'm close to the one west of Detroit, ... both are staffed with good, helpful, knowledgable people. I find their prices (pen material ... can't comment on big ticket items) to be 'OK' ... some things are a little higher than on-line sites, other things are lower, but generally I'd say Woodcraft (in-store) prices are 'only a little higher'. But I'm satisfied with paying because of the support I get from the store. I ask LOTS of questions and they are very patient with me.

Let me add my recommendation. I've had a strong relationship with my local Woodcraft for some time. While I rarely buy kits or blanks from them they've gone out of their way to satisfy my insatiable need for bowl and vessel turning stock. Yes, they can be a little pricey, but they make up for that with a lot of personal touches including taking the time to listen to my gripes and patiently telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Marc

I'll add my recommendation to Marc's... the local store, which is about 45 miles away for me, hosts the local wood turning club I belong to, which I don't attend regularly because of the distance... but I never go into Knoxville without stopping by, even if just to say hello... NICE bunch of people who work there and fun to just BS with if nothing else. They have some nice wood stock there and we pick some up pretty regularly, plus they recommended another wood source locally that actually has better prices then WC... different stuff and wider selection. I still find bargains with the WC.
When I was ready to buy my new lathe in January, it was due to go on sale in March, they recommended that I wait until February, then they could give me a discounted price for the sale..
Like Marc, I don't buy many pen kits from them, but would recommend everything else.. I do watch prices carefully. I do buy most of my plastics from them... they have a nice selection and my wife likes to pick them out for me...

Marc

Rifleman1776

Your question is very broad. There may be no "Woodcraft products" in a Woodcraft store. They sell many brands of many items. Most of the stores are individually owned franchises and are operated according to the whims of the various owners.
This general question is impossible to answer. Check it out for yourself. A lot of folks would be delighted to have a Woodcraft store near them.

M

monkeynutz

I like my local WC, but I'm glad it's actually 15 miles away. Every time I go in there, I may as well empty out my pockets at the door... :redface:

My store is a little lax on inventory levels, so I've found often that they are out of stock on a particular pen kit, blank, or box I might need, so I've taken to calling them before I drive all the way over there.

I do tend to use them just for fill-in items that I need immediately, and stick to online buying from AS and BW for items in quantity. It is nice to be able to "feel up" an item before you buy it, though.

W3DRM

The 'hands-on' makes a difference, but Woodcraft can be on the pricey side.
I really wish they would keep a cross reference on pens and parts, though.
I'd probably buy more if I knew what was compatible while I'm there. I'm
always grabbing bags of spare tubes and looking for a chart to see if it is
the right size for my bushings or not.. and then I end up putting a lot of
things back because I'm not sure, don't want to get stuck with them and
I'm not making another 200+ mile round trip to return them..

The Woodcraft catalog has a "Pen Kit Reference Chart" in it (page 144 in the Nov '08 catalog). That chart lists the various pen/pencil kits and also gives you drill size, bushing and replacement tube information so you have everything you need in a nice compact listing. Just make a copy of that page and take it with you so you know what goes with what.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The Woodcraft catalog has a "Pen Kit Reference Chart" in it (page 144 in the Nov '08 catalog). That chart lists the various pen/pencil kits and also gives you drill size, bushing and replacement tube information so you have everything you need in a nice compact listing. Just make a copy of that page and take it with you so you know what goes with what.

Ah .. yes, I know about that one. I was referring to a cross reference of
the same pens by other names.. You know, like one place calls a Sierra a
Wall Street or a Baron and a Jr. Gent .. I don't know them all, but I know
that a lot of the parts are compatible. Plus, it's hard to see in those little
bags and know what you're looking at. (well, for me it is..)

L1Truckie

All you guys amaze me.......I appreciate each and every answer Ive received, including other threads as well. Ya'll are a wealth of knowledge. Maybe one day I'll be good enuff to give some advice back. Thanks again!

Top Bottom