Any problems turning Pradauk or padauk?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fitz

I'm getting ready to turn a cigar pen from Tiger Pradauk. Is there any problems or special things to do before applying a CA and BLO finish.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I turn it a lot and have never had any trouble either turning it or finishing it. I really like working with it a lot. I have used friction finishes, CA, and minwax all with good results.

leehljp

Member Liaison
My first pen was made with paddauk. No problems. Did CA on it without a problem. It was so easy that I assumed that I knew how to do a CA finish! Took me nearly 18 months to master CA after getting hooked so easily on that first pen. Beginners luck for me but after that . . .

Last edited:

Dario

Pradauk is narra and it is oily. If you've turned and finished amboyna then it is the same since it is also narra.

After sanding and MM, wipe the blank with accelerator before finishing with CA.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Pradauk is narra and it is oily. If you've turned and finished amboyna then it is the same since it is also narra.

After sanding and MM, wipe the blank with accelerator before finishing with CA.

Gomenn - er, ah, sorry for the mis-reading of that. Thanks for clearing this up Dario. We need you around more!

stolicky

I have attempted turning a couple of non-stabilized pieces. In my experience it cut nice long grain, but it tore out easily cross grain. Once finished, it does have a pretty cool shimmering grain pattern. All of the pieces I turned came from a single board.

Good luck.

DurocShark

Padauk looks beautiful under CA or lacquer. I haven't had any adhesion problems with padauk for either finish. Turning even endgrain is no problem with nice sharp tools and a light touch.

If you inlay a bit of brass into the piece, it can be absolutely stunning.

bitshird

The worst experience I've had putting a finish on a pen was on a Padauk Cigar, BUT after trying a few times I got smart, I figured the wood was still green, I cut nearly all of my own blanks (and fingers) the Padauk was a piece from a 3x6x48 inch slab, I had cut about 20 blanks and was really getting PO'd,I am no expert but that was the first wood I had trouble putting a CA finish on.
A living genius pointed that I may need to dry the blanks, I popped a few in the Microwave for 20 seconds weighed them and after about 4 or 5 cycles in the microwave (and a butt chewing by SWMBO) they were dry and have turned out some beautiful pens.

I'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but I tend to have a negative reaction to Paduak... I love the wood to work with and the colors, but I'm somewhat allergic or sensitive to it, so my suggestion is be careful with it.

I still use it, but with lots of precautions.

I don't use accelerator on mine before the CA, but I wipe most of my turnings down with mineral spirits or acetone after sanding just to clean and clear away any dust. I'll use accelerator after the first, third and last coat of CA.

Top Bottom