Any one want to ID some wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

I picked up this wood today and for the life of me I have no idea what the heck it is. It has a wild grain pattern to it. The sky's the limit for area it came from. The place I got it from is working with some wild stuff right now. Also, I want to make some angle cut blanks out of this. Is there a "standard" degree to make them?

69062.jpg

69061.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Just looked it up at the Hobbithouse and I did see a couple that looked pretty dang close, so I would bet that will be it. What do ya think, 5.25" x 49" and an even trade for a slimline pen made from it?? [:D]

Any thought on what angle to use for some angle blanks?

mrcook4570

I agree that it looks like bubinga. Is it pretty dense and hard?
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
Any thought on what angle to use for some angle blanks?

You can use any angle. Angles closer to straight cut will be easier to work. 45 degree produces nice patterns, but is a little more difficult to work. Cross-cut bubinga can be very striking, but is harder than woodpecker lips.

Firefyter-emt

I plan to do most of it straight, jut thought I would mix it up a bit. I have access to scraps and stuff like this of a large array of exotics for $1.00 a pound. The main ones I have picked up have been Paduck, Goncallo Alves, Imbuia & Jacaranda. But the mill has some Purple Heart & Tigerwood I have "scrap dibs" on. I should take a photo the next time I stop in, They are doing all the wood work for a real castle being built in Northern CT, I would guess the exotic wood adds aan easy million over normal wood choices.. [:0]

Rudy Vey

If it is heavy and pretty hard, i.e. try to press a fingernail in is a tough quest, it is Bubinga. If it is lighter and one can press the fingernail in easier, it could also be Mahogany. I had some that looked just like this.

Firefyter-emt

Yes it is very heavy.. I just ripped 5 blanks out of a 5" long piece I cut off and glued up a slimline. We shall see, it looks promising

Oh, and I have now sworn off cocobolo.. I love the look, but I am 1 in 5 for blown blanks. I am sick of this, there are eaiser woods to turn!![:(!]

Dario

While cocobolo is hard...I haven't blown any while turning. Maybe there are other reason why this is happening? Check out the blown pieces...investigate the glue adhesion that may be it. What tool are you using when it happens? What cut is the blank (straight, biased,cross)?

Nolan

Just blew up a x cut Mexican Cocobolo I almost cried[:(] Little catch and boom!. Worst part is it was like no piece I have seen. It was kinda Orange color and losts of detail. O well thats learning for ya. BTW glad I dont live next to an exotic lumber mill I would have to live in the garage[:D].

Nolan

Firefyter-emt

Yes, it is a steep angle cut cocobolo and I was using my roughing gouge (call me strange, I do almost all my work with this 1" gouge.) [:D]

I do have some straight cut that may be just fine, but this stuff is pretty nice with the heavy yellows in it

Here is the only survival of the cocobolo turns, a cigar with black trim (not my fav, but the black was requested)

69065.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom