Any hints for keeping bodock yellow?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

I have several pieces of bodock. One I turned into a tiny bowl and didn't sand much at all and it's stayed bright yellow. The pieces I have sanded have changed to a more brown color. It's a way hard wood - which, incidentally, doesn't float - and I don't think it's abrasive grit getting into the grain. I think the sandpaper and MicroMesh are kind of burning the surface.

Any suggtestions?

Julia[?]

Dario

Julia,

Are you referring to Osage Orange? (a.k.a. Bois d'Arc, Bodark, Bow Wood, Hedge Apple, Horse Apple, Naranjo Chino, Yellow Wood)

Rifleman1776

Osage Orange, known by many other names. You are probably referring to Boise 'd arc aka BoDark, etc. Same stuff. Yes, it is hard but I enjoy turning and working it. Never tried the float thing but will do. Some will turn color when exposed to light over a period of time. Most only lose the very bright yellow and become a semi-bright tan. Currently there is nothing on the market (that I know of) that will arrest the color change. Some products, like TSW, have UV inhibitors but I doubt Lou will gurantee no color change when his product is used. Do a search, I did a test of OO changing color in full sunlight. In a nutshell, the change was barely noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom