Any acrylic blanks that mimic Sheaffer/Parker striated celluloid?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MohnJadden

Hi all - I have a couple of Sheaffer Triumphs with a really lovely striated design. Unfortunately one of them I got cheap and requires a $90 repair, and the other has somehow gotten to a point where I can't de-thread the cap, and pulling just seems to want to pull the grip from the body.

I've asked in a few other places but I figure here would be good to ask as well - are there any acrylic blanks that mimic the look of old Sheaffer/Parker striation? It doesn't have to be transparent, and it doesn't have to be celluloid either. I'm just looking for that beautiful design in a turned pen.

Examples can be found at:

RichardsPens.com • Pens That Write Right!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I've never seen any of those pens, don't get out much, ;) nor seen any blank materials resembling them either. There are some vintage materials available from time to time that are nice and would be worthy of replacing the original with. I'll see if I can post a picture of my hoarded pieces.

Attachments

• E4F8A226-93A2-4A10-B6B8-ADA02FF5690F.jpg
    E4F8A226-93A2-4A10-B6B8-ADA02FF5690F.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Reactions: RKB

MohnJadden

I've never seen any of those pens, don't get out much, ;) nor seen any blank materials resembling them either. There are some vintage materials available from time to time that are nice and would be worthy of replacing the original with. I'll see if I can post a picture of my hoarded pieces.

That 5th one from the right is close to what I'm looking for. Do they still make the blank for it or is that one of those vintage ones?

Curly

All of those are vintage and that one is only big enough for a single pen, perhaps two if combined with other material. Barrels out of it and caps from something else type of thing. I don't remember where or when I got it so have no idea where to get more if any still exists. All of it was from the 50's down to possibly the 30's. That's why it's so difficult to find.

Curly

I was wondering if you could tell me if the material that had clear alternating with black layers along the length of the blank, were done as layers like plywood or were they wedges radiating out from the centre of the tube something like this?

As a repair for the stripped threads have you considered turning out the threads, glueing in an Ebonite or resin (Alumilite or Epoxy) bushing/plug and then rethreading the new material?

MohnJadden

I was wondering if you could tell me if the material that had clear alternating with black layers along the length of the blank, were done as layers like plywood or were they wedges radiating out from the centre of the tube something like this?

As a repair for the stripped threads have you considered turning out the threads, glueing in an Ebonite or resin (Alumilite or Epoxy) bushing/plug and then rethreading the new material?

It was closer to clear alternating with black, something like that. Not like the plywood stripes you have linked.

Alas, I am not a turner nor do I have the tools to be one - I came to ask about the blank, and if it exists, to commission its turning.

Curly

Thanks. I have a someday idea of replicating something close but haven't the time now.

You could try scouring Ebay for vintage materials. Try looking for Galalith, Casien, bakelite, Celluloid rods etc. Sometimes nice looking pieces come up.

You might also consult with someone like Mike and Linda as they do repairs and may have parts or materials. They will refer you if they can't help.

PenHog

MohnJadden, it may also be worth asking Vince at The Turners Workshop (UK) if he has anything like that; he does seem to stock a lot of vintage material. I don't think he does any turning work himself, but at least you'd have the material, and then you could probably find someone to do the repair work.

darrin1200

Nice stash Pete. I am very jealous.

Top Bottom